Chapter 5: What About Me

The both of them stared me up and down suspiciously before the short one spoke. "What my friend here is upset about," he started as the tall one beside him continued to sulk, "Is that our fourth roomie was expelled at the end of last year, and since we don't have a full room now-"

"Zeh're going to split us up to fill other dorms!" The French one cried, covering his face with his hands, "Ugh, let's just go, Mulligan. We must break ze news to Laurens."

Mulligan looked at me apologetically as the tall one began dragging him away from me.

I furrowed my brows. These guys needed a fourth roommate; Thomas, James, and Aaron mentioned they had previously had permission to room with only the three of them...

"Not so fast, French Fry," I stopped the two of them abruptly, "What about me?"

They narrowed their eyes at me slightly, the tall one more so after the nickname I had called him. "What about you?" 'Mulligan' asked curiously, leaning in slightly.

I shrugged. "I don't have a dorm," I half-lied, "we can get me switched to your room, yeah? I'm sure they'd allow it..."

Frenchie gasped, and I stumbled back a bit as he suddenly embraced me tightly, "Vous etes brilliant!"

"U-uh no problem," I said awkwardly as he released me, still holding on to my arms.

"What is your name, mon amie?" He asked intently, shaking me slightly.

"Uh, Alexander," I stuttered, "Alex Hamilton."

He smiled. "Je m'appelle Lafayette," he declared, and then pointed to his friend, "He is Mulligan. Now let's go fix this!"

He grabbed my hand and began pulling me inside the office. "We just call him Laf," Mulligan told me as he followed us into the office, "I'm Hercules. Or Herc, it's whatever."

I smiled. "Pleasure," I replied as I had to duck through a closing door while Lafayette kept an iron grip on my hand.

"Je suis revenu!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I don't see why not," the woman at the desk said, clicking away on the computer screen in front of her, "We like to give our students as much freedom as possible around here."

The small tag on the front of her shirt read 'Washington'; the name sounded familiar, but I couldn't think of it. "What's your name dear?" She continued.

"Alex Hamilton."

She did some more typing and some more clicking, peering down at her computer through her small reading glasses. "It says here," she began to read off the screen, "That you were assigned to dorm 29, with a certain-"

"That's me," I cut her off quickly, nervously looking at the two boys next to me, and she nodded, doing some more clicking, "I want to switch for... personal reasons."

"Well I don't see why we can't do that for you," she repeated, finally taking her hands off the keyboard and folding them on the desk, "What room are you two in, now?"

"51!" Lafayette stepped forward and declared proudly, and Hercules nodded fervently.

Mrs. Washington nodded, and I sighed inwardly as she turned her attention back to the keyboard and continued to type. "I don't have to ask for your name, now do I?" She smiled, looking at Mulligan, who laughed.

"But you," she continued, narrowing her eyes jokingly at Lafayette, "I'm going to need your name again, sweetheart; your full name."

Lafayette groaned loudly, and put his elbows on the front of the counter. "Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier de La Fayette," he said slowly, so she could be sure to understand, but it seemed she had stopped typing at about the second word.

"What was that last part?"

"I'll do it myself, merci..."