Chapter 28: Lafayette's Breakup

Alex's POV

It was Laf, standing there in the doorway. His eyes met each of ours, and then to the letter. "Laf," Hercules said, approaching him slightly, "I didn't kn-"

"You read my letter?" Laf said quietly, sounding hurt, and came up and snatched the letter from me, which I let go of easily.

He went to take a seat at the desk, leaving Herc, John, and I to watch him uncertainly. "We're sorry," John told him, taking a step toward him, "We were just worried about you."

There was no response from Laf, he just stared at the letter. Suddenly, he grabbed it by the top and ripped it in two. John gasped. "Why?" He asked Laf breathlessly, who shrugged.

"She does not care about me anymore," he stated simply, looking at the ground.

Hercules stood by me, obviously unsure of what to do, while John went over to Laf, putting a hand on his upper back comfortingly. "I'm sure that's not true," he said quietly, rubbing small circles with his thumb over Laf's shoulder.

The affectionate gesture made me slightly uncomfortable, but I ignored it. "What's in the package?" I asked, gesturing to the small wrapped object in my opposite hand.

Laf looked over at it with both sadness and distaste. "A ring," he answered simply, "Open it... if you want."

He was right. When I carefully tore open the wrapping, it revealed a small box, which was opened to reveal a small, silver ring. A promise ring. It was beautiful, a sort of wrap design, with a small diamond in the center. There were words on each side of it. On the left, ensemble, and on the right of the gem, toujours.

"Together forever," I read out loud, slowly and quietly.

Laf nodded. "I thought so at the time," he shrugged, and stood up slowly, John's hand falling, "But I should have seen et coming."

He ran his hand down his face as he left the desk and passed between Hercules and I. We watched as he climbed up into his bunk bed.

He reached into his pocket, pulling out what looked to be a wallet, and then pulled a small picture out of that. He slid it out with two fingers, and then flicked it out over the side of his bed. I caught it in my hands as it fluttered down.

Then Lafayette fell onto his mattress, simply staring up at the ceiling.

John came to stand by my side, and we examined the photograph. It was of Laf and the girl I assumed to be Adrienne, maybe a year or two ago. It was a picture of them in the snow; Adrienne was giggling while Laf was kissing her cheek. I thought she was beautiful; deep tan skin and curly hair.

"They look so happy," John muttered suddenly over my shoulder, and I jumped slightly before setting the photograph down on the chair that was pulled up near the bunk bed.

Hercules turned to me, glancing at John as well. "Give us a minute?" He asked me under his breath, out of Lafayette's earshot.

I nodded, and as I turned I grabbed John by the arm as well, pulling him with me out the door. As we shut it, I heard John sigh loudly and watched as he slid down the wall to sit on the carpeted floor. "And here we were so sure he was single," he said, mostly to himself, "Hercules thought- he never mentioned any 'Adrienne' in all the years we've known him. What the hell, Laf."

I made my way to sit beside him, but kept my distance all the same. "What are you talking about?" I asked him, "What does Hercules have do with Lafayette's girlfriend?"

John looked at me, but then soon after looked down the hallway, away from me. "Uh, since eighth grade, I think..." he trailed off, and then looked reluctantly back at me, "Alex, you know this is between us, right?"

"I've told you once and I'll tell you a thousand times, I have no friends to tell. Except maybe Eliza."

John waved his hand dismissively. "Like she already doesn't know," he smirked, "She can read the four of us guys like a book. She's the 'Psychic Schuyler'."

I chuckled softly. "So what is it?"

"Uhh," John began, running a hand nervously through his long hair, "Yeah, those two have been friends since elementary school... I think it was middle school when Hercules finally told me that he liked Laf as more than a friend; that was about the time that he came out, at least to his friends. You know I played match maker for almost two years, and here he had a girlfriend across the ocean! No wonder I wasn't getting anywhere..."

I raised my eyebrows, and John turned to look at me, perhaps expecting more of a reaction. "You're not surprised," he stated.

I shrugged. "Ehh..." I dragged out the sound, "I mean, kind of? No, not really."

John rolled his eyes, then cleared his throat. "I guess not much is surprising in our dorm anymore, huh."

"I guess so..." I trailed off, "So does Laf know? You know, about Hercules."

"Huh?" Said John, previously zoned out, "Oh, probably not.  The poor guy's oblivious; never been able to identify his own feelings, let alone what other people are thinkng."

There was a pause, and the two of us sighed. "I know the feeling," we both chimed suddenly.

John's POV

Then there was silence as we both looked away from one another. Get me out of here get me out of here get me out, was all I could think.

You need to tell him the truth, the voice inside my head told me, or it'll be like this forever.

"Alex I..." I started quickly, but it seemed he was afraid of what I might say because he stopped me.

"Let's just... focus on Laf, okay?" He managed a smile my way.

I frowned. I guess he didn't think there was anything to talk about, but I decided to try anyway. "We should talk ab-"

"Please, Laurens."

He meant it. I sighed silently, and satisfied myself with stretching out my legs and simply sitting against the wall. I couldn't relax, though, and I could tell Alex couldn't either.

Thank goodness the door finally opened and distracted the two of us. It was Hercules.

When he shut the door behind him, he sighed loudly, looking at me.

"Well?" I asked.

Herc shook his head, and then laughed softly. "He's, um... he's upset but he won't admit it. He keeps saying he's fine."

I frowned, and opened my mouth to say something but he beat me to it. "I was so stupid," he whispered to himself.

"You couldn't have known," I tried to convince him, "And it's not like you ever made a move or something on 'im, right?"

Hercules shrugged. "I don't know what I'm gonna do now..." he mumbled, looking at the two of us, and then opened the door again.

As soon as he did, Alex bolted inside, leaving me to sit on the floor by myself. Hercules shot me a questioning look, and I shook my head at no particular question.

I was disappointed, but I wouldn't give up.