Chapter 31: It's About Time John

(A/N: omg guys 1k reads! Tysm! I love you all 😘
- Daryn 🏳️‍🌈🇺🇸

Alex's POV

I used to believe that nothing could surprise me. I had experienced too much, seen too many crazy things. Until John kissed me, that is, I had thought it was true. When he connected us I almost fell back in shock, but I managed to hold steady.

Before that, looking into John's dark eyes, I could feel my throat drying up. My head I could feel was spinning. When John kissed me, I had to keep my eyes from opening in shock, but I didn't pull away.

This wasn't my first kiss, but it was so different. It was a sensation. It was satisfying, subtle; almost fragile.

It was a stark contrast to my memory of Jefferson; when I kissed him it was so physical; almost angry. Two different people, two very different attitudes.

I liked kissing John.

Time seemed to slow down as I thought, but I knew that it had only been a few seconds when John pulled away. 

I could tell the poor guy was so nervous; he stared at me with wide eyes. "Alex, I didn-"

"Just..." I interrupted him, putting a hand up, "Give me a minute."

"To do what?"

"To think?" I rubbed my chin.

"Are you kidding me?" He whispered incredulously, "I finally fess up and kiss you, and you want a minute to think?"

I grimaced at his volume, but afterwards he was silent. "I'm sorry," He admitted.

"Sorry?"

John's POV (Back to the moment of the kiss, sorry if this is confusing)

As soon as I kissed Alex, my body reacted on it's own, the exact opposite of what I expected of myself. I thought I would tense up, that I would ruin the moment like I always did, but I didn't; I melted away, but then it was over practically before it began.

He pulled away, and I found myself disappointed. "Alex, I didn-" I began, but he stopped me.

He said he only needed a moment to think. About what? I complained in my head and out loud, you can't just let someone kiss you and expect them to stand by while you think. I wanted to do it again.

I decided to apologize. "Sorry?" He asked, "For what?"

I couldn't think of anything to say. What a first. "I should never have assumed that y-" I began, but he stopped me again.

"It's okay, John," he laughed softly.

"It's okay?"

It seemed he couldn't help but smile, and even more when I mirrored his expression.

Tell him the truth, the little voice in my head ordered me. "I really like you, Alex," I told him soon after.

He stared at me, the ghost of a a smile on his expression. "Thomas was right," He mumbled after a while, and I barely heard him.

"Jefferson? What does he have to do with us?" I asked, my smile fading and my disposition waning.

"He told me that you liked me," He admitted quietly, "And he said that I was in denial about it because I ignore other people's feelings. I guess he was right. Sorry."

This kid; is kissed out of nowhere at two in the morning, is surprised at the news that the boy who kissed you likes you, and then apologizes. I couldn't believe it.

"Alexander," I leaned forward against slightly so he could hear me clearly, "Don't apologize to me."

I kissed him again, softly, before pulling away. "I like you too," he said quickly soon after, our faces only inches from one another.

"I guessed," I whispered back, smirking.

He laughed softly. "And on that note," I began, "It's time for both of to go to sleep. Especially you."

Neither of us moved. "Laurens-" He began nervously.

"John," I corrected him.

He rolled his eyes, but he was smiling subtly. "When will you stop correcting me?"

"When you start getting it right," I replied smoothly, smirking slightly.

"John, then," he continued, "I don't suppose you'd... be willing to go out with me?"

There was a bit of a pause, my mouth open slightly as I watched Alexander become increasingly fidgety.

"Well why don't you give me a minute," I said sarcastically, "You know, to think."

"John!" He hit me playfully on the arm, and then grabbed my hand.

"Alex," I began, laughing, "I don't think you could stop me."

He smiled. "I-"

"Now goodnight!" I exclaimed, and pushed him lightly, and thankfully he laid down.

The thunder and lightning continued to sound outside, but Alex didn't seem to notice.

I slid down the mattress so that he could have the room. "I don't think the storm will last much longer," I said, beginning to move away.

There was no response, so I looked back.

He was already asleep. He was still holding my hand.