Part 10

Lindsey had just come back to his hotel room after spending the whole day with Stevie. He usually stayed until visiting hours ended and the staff made him leave. Having just sat down on the bed, the phone started ringing. Curiously, he picked it up. Except of his agency that he had had to call to postpone a few of his tour dates, no one had this phone number.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Lindsey!", said an angry female voice promptly, "Remember who I am?"

"Cheri?"

"Wow! You still remember my name!", Cheri said sarcastically.

Lindsey swallowed uneasily. He had totally forgotten to inform his long-term girlfriend Cheri Caspari where he had been for the past ten days.

"Well?", she asked impatiently, "Care to inform me where you have been since you left for the inauguration? I've been worried sick about you, not knowing where you are and seeing that you cancelled various dates of your tour. I've called several of your friends but no one seemed to know where you were until your agency gave me this number a few hours ago. Since then, I've been desperately trying to call you but you didn't pick up! Where the hell are you?!", with every word her voice grew louder and angrier.

"I.... Cheri, honey, listen..", Lindsey stuttered, then took a deep breath, he needed to pull himself together, "I am in Phoenix."

"In Phoenix?! What the fuck are you doing in Phoenix?! Right now, you should be in Denver!"

"God, I know..", Lindsey sighed, running one hand through his hair, "Something came up and I had to leave."

"What came up, huh, Lindsey?!", Cheri wanted to know.

"I don't think it's such a great idea to discuss this over the phone.."

"Lindsey, don't you dare hang up on me! I swear to God..-"

"I'm here because a very dear friend of mine needed my help.", Lindsey interrupted her before she could say anything else.

"Who?!"

"Cheri..."

"Lindsey, who?!", Cheri yelled, "Who is it that needed your help so desperately that you forgot to tell your girlfriend of six years where you've been the past ten days?!"

"Stevie.", it was barely a whisper.

"What? Tell me again!"

"It's Stevie.", he said once more, louder this time, bracing himself for what was most likely going to come any second, now.

"You must be fucking kidding me!", Cheri groaned, "Are you seriously telling me right now, that you left without a word to spent some time fucking your highschool sweetheart in Arizona?! Is that really what you're telling me, Lindsey?!", she was screaming by now.

"No..", Lindsey replied with a sigh, "Cheri, you get this totally wrong. I'm here because she needed my help! There is nothing going on between Stevie and I."

"And what the hell have you two been doing, otherwise, huh?!"

"She's.. Cheri, listen. Stevie is in rehab.", he explained eventually, "Honey, I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm so sorry for not calling you. I really am. I know what this must look like but I swear, we didn't do anything inappropriate. I simply helped her detoxing from tranquilizers."

Cheri slowly shook her head, tears stinging in her eyes, she couldn't believe what Lindsey was telling her. For years, the ghost of Stevie Nicks had haunted their relationship. It had been so hard to make him forget about the other woman. That's why he had been so hesistant to join Fleetwood Mac at Bill Clinton's inauguration in the first place. But only one single night in Stevie Nick's toxic presence and she had pulled him right back under her spell.

"I can't do this anymore.", Cheri sobbed, wiping away her angry tears, "I just can't."

"What do you mean 'you can't do this anymore'? Cheri? What..-?!"

"It's over, Lindsey.", she said, "I hate doing this over the phone but you leave me with no other option. This time, I leave you for good."

"Cheri, no. Honey, listen..-", Lindsey said, desperately trying to convince her that he was telling her the truth but Cheri didn't want any of it.

"I love you, Lindsey..", Cheri said, tears rolling down her cheeks, "I really do. But you're obviously still in love with another woman. And I am not her. I never will be."

"Cheri..."

"I just hope that one day, she will love you back just as much as you love her.", with that Cheri hang up, leaving Lindsey sitting on the bed, the phone still pressed against his right ear.

----

Only a short update. :D I hope you're still enjoying this story.

Much love, Lara