{5}

I woke up at 5:00 am and got ready to leave. I had cereal, brushed my teeth and got dressed into a comfy outfit, it was going to be a long ride so I had to be comfortable. All of a sudden I remembered my car. What was going to happen to it? I couldn't possibly bring it with me.
   I went downstairs with my luggage and my mom was starting to load the moving truck with my boxes. My stuff would be arriving a week or so after I arrived because it would be driving across the country.
   "Hey mom!" I said, trying to sound like this wasn't the most terrible day ever, but in reality it was.
   "Hi sweetie. Oh, you're so brave," she started to stroke my cheek. "I love you so much, never forget that." She pulled me into a hug. "I have a few more things to tell you."
   "Like what?" I asked
   "Auntie Cassie just got divorced from Uncle Tim so she might be a little down from time to time."
   "Okay, I'll make sure I comfort her as much as possible," I replied.
   "And the other thing, I'm going to have to sell your car. First for money, and second I don't have any need for it without you here."
   "I understand. It's just going to be sitting in the driveway anyway. Might as well sell it." I pulled away from the hug and I realized my mom was crying. For some reason though, I wasn't. I felt like crying, screaming never letting go of her. But nothing came out of me, no emotion, nothing.
   After we both we looking at each other with love in our eyes, we both got in the car and she drove me to the airport.
-------------------------------------------------------
   When we got there, she dropped me off at the airport terminal. We said our last goodbyes and I walked into the crowd of strangers at the airport. For the first time in my life, I felt so alone, and to be honest, I was so scared.
   I got my bags checked, and I headed toward the security check. After waiting for about an hour, I got checked and I started to walk to the gate. I passed food stands and I decided to get a blueberry muffin from Starbucks just in case I got hungry on the plane.
   I waited at gate 14 for 30 minutes before they started to call people on the plane. I got on line, and I boarded the plane. I went to my seat and there were 2 empty seats next to me. I started to think I had the whole space to myself because the flight attendant started to make last boarding calls. A few minutes before they closed the gate, a women and her son came to sit next to me.
   "Hi!" The women said. "I hope you don't mind if we sit here. We just got these tickets not too long ago, our original flight got cancelled."
"Of course not! I could use some company. I'm sorry to hear about your other flight," I replied with a smile.
   "My name is Shelby and this is my son, Jacob. He is turning 3 tomorrow. We are visiting family for his birthday," she said with so much excitement and enthusiasm.
   "Nice to meet you! I'm Nicole. I'm going to New York because my mom doesn't have enough money to take care of me. I'm going to live with my Aunt." I started to cry, I was finally starting to feel empty and abandoned.
   "Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear that," Shelby said.
   "Mommy! Do you know where my special crackers are?" Jacob asked in the sweetest voice with the sweetest smile.
   "Right here," Shelby handed him crackers in a plastic bag. "He is allergic to wheat so he has to eat these crackers that contain a wheat substitute that doesn't cause him to have an allergic reaction," she explained.
   Then the pilot came over the intercom and let the passengers know that the flight was going to be 6 hours long and we would be arriving at 4:00 pm because of the time difference of 3 hours.
   "Enough time for a nap," I said.
   Shelby laughed and said, "I think you read my mind.
   We both laughed and soon enough my eyes closed into a dark pit of nothing.
-------------------------------------------------------
After about 3 hours I woke up and the flight attendant was coming around with a drink cart.
"Can I get you something to drink?" She asked.
"May I have water please?" I asked.
"Here you go," she passed me a small cup of water with ice in it.
"Thank you," I took a sip of the water and it was refreshing. All of a sudden, I thought about Jackson. I looked out my window and saw the calm clouds and beautiful sky.
"Hey, are you okay?" A voice from behind me asked. I turned around and it was Shelby.
"Yeah," I replied. My eyes started to tear up. "No," I changed my answer.
"I don't mean to intrude but, do you want to talk about it?" She asked.
"I think that will make me feel better." I replied. I told Shelby everything, it was like I was talking to my mom, she listened to everything I said and never interrupted me.
"Oh my gosh, that must've been so hard for you," she replied. "I have had a tough time as well. My husband divorced me with such a hard fight and he left me with Jacob," Shelby said with tears in her eyes.
"I'm so sorry. I know how it feels to loose someone you love, my dad died when I was 7 and I was heartbroken," I said.
We continued talking and before I knew it, it was time to get off the plane.
"It was nice talking to you, Shelby." I said. "Oh, and happy birthday Jacob!" I exclaimed with a smile on my face.
"Thank you," he said shyly and hid is face in his mother's side.
"It was nice talking to you too,Nicole. Good luck with your new home. "
"Thank you!" I got my carry-on luggage and walked off the plane. I stepped into the airport and whispered,"Hello New York, I hope you're good to me." And I continued walking to the luggage carousel.