Chapter 1

Cullen drops the handmade saddle onto the peg and flops the damp saddle blankets on top. Slipping the bridle off of the bay mare's head he gazes across the horizon at the now setting sun. Seeing that half of the glowing ball of gas has dropped below the trees he turns to the feed room and scoops out oats, for each of the two horses he has in the pen, dumping it in the rubber feed tubs before heading to his bachelor pad. Another day down just a couple more years to go.

When he walks into his kitchen the stack of mail from the past three days catches his eye. Picking the stack up he flips through it stopping at the Thanksgiving card from his employer. He shakes his head, the guy that owns the ranch hardly knows which end of a cow chews grass, yet he is kind and generous. His boss, the foreman of the ranch, is knowledgeable, but rarely gets time to do ranch work for sending in detailed reports to the owner. Cullen smiles and redirects his thoughts to the small note inside the card.

Cullen,
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you enjoy the day and have safe travels where ever you go.
~ Larry

He smiles and chunks it on the table, he had no idea what he was doing for Thanksgiving, but yet it was only days away. As if on cue his phone rings, his mom. I bet she says 'what you doing for Thanksgiving?' and then tells me to come see them.

"Hey mom, how are things down there?" He asks a smile gracing his sun tanned face.

"They are good. Do you have plans for Thanksgiving, I know you went to Wade and Gina's last year."

He chuckles. "No, I don't. I haven't even talked to Wade to see if they are going somewhere incase I need to stay and check things."

"Okay, just let me know. Your brother and sister aren't going to be able to come so it will just be us unless you come or someone else does." She hints at the fact she might have invited someone.

He shakes his head with a smile. "Who did you invite?"

"I'm not telling you, and we don't even know if they are going to be able to come," she snaps although he can hear the mischief and delight in her voice.

"Okay well I will let you know what comes about," he tells her smiling.

***
"Scruffy, come," Canley commands her voice stern yet gentle. The puppy wags its tail and slowly pads toward her. She smiles and scoops the little black and white Border Collie puppy up. "You can't run off, you'll get run over."

After putting the pup back in the pen with his mom and twelve other littler mates she heads to the house for the evening. The horses and dogs were fed, everyone was winding down for the evening. Or so she thought.

Her phone rings as she enters the house. Hanging her hat on the nearest chair she answers it.

"Miss Spencer?" The gruff voice asks.

Her eyebrows knit together. "This is she, may I ask who is speaking?"

"Police chief Mitchell."

A/N

I know it is short, but I just had to leave you hanging XD