Chapter 9

Cullen brushes the hot tears away with such force his cheek begins to burn. The tears are already coming and the arch isn't even in sight. He can't turn back now, no, he can't face Canley and admit he's such a coward he tried running. He cranks up the radio in effort to drowns out the voices of his head.

Knowing the arch posts are close he turns his lights on bright for extra light. His right foot slams the breaks causing his neck to jerk forward and then back again.

"This can't be right, I must be seeing things," He mutters inching the pickup forward.

Still not believing it for himself he cautiously opens his door and steps out, fearing that if he moves too quickly it will all have just been a dream. The headlights shine on her fair skin and a accusing glare radiates from her.

"Canley what are you doing on prince in the middle of the road in the middle of the night?"

"I am staring daggers at a man that is cowardly running away! Is that the same guy that made me grow up and come here instead of running away to my safe house?" Invisible steam rolls off her as she stares into his eyes.

Cullen shakes his head, "I don't guess so because now I'm the one running away to my safe house."

"Cullen, I believe we can make it work. Just give us a chance." With that she urges Prince back to the barn.

He stares at the retreating figure of horse and rider. Shaking his head he turns back to his pickup and turns it back to the house.

Can it really work? How can it with a hundreds of miles and a baby in the middle?

Grabbing his bag he quietly enters the house and climbs the stairs. He places his bag in his room he sighs. Finally finding the courage he tiptoes down the hall to her door. When he hears a babyish whimper he softly knocks on the door. The door gently creaks open and Canley appears in his line of vision. Her hair is in a wild bun on the top of her head and her smile is suddenly driving him up the wall.

"Hey, uh, can we chat?" He stutters.

She smiles, "Sure." She motions him inside.

"So, um, I think you're right. I should give us a chance and I'm willing to make it work. I feel like since we are giving us a chance I should tell you what is on my mind."

She nods cradling Ashley in her arm while the baby holds her own bottle for the fifth time.

He takes a deep breath blowing it out slowly, "I guess I don't see how a relationship can work with a baby."

"I'm not sure because I haven't ever done it before, but I know it has happen before." She pauses, "You just have to decide you are going to make it work and that you need support of friends and family around you," She tells him setting Ashley in her swing after she burps.

He smiles and wraps his arms around her, "You are so much more patient than I ever thought about being."

She laughs, "No, you just choose not to focus on my snappy side."

"Maybe that too," He says shrugging with a smile.

She smiles back and rests her head on his shoulder. Their bodies mold together like they were made for one another. Sparks shoot through both like never before, things are different now. He rests his head on the top of hers and smiles contently.

As if to announce that she was still there Ashley coos from the swing. Cullen smiles and steps toward the baby swing.

"You are pretty cute you know?" He whispers squatting down in front of her.

Canley looks on a smile slipping to her face. Canley watches intently as Ashley coos again and smiles her small hand reaching out clumsily. Her gaze diverts to Cullen as he slowly moves his hand into the tiny hands reach. Ashley's fingers clasp his pinky and a huge toothless grin spreads across the infants face.

"She likes you," Canley tells him as he smiles up at her.

He smiles, "She's not so bad."

"So your good with taking her for the night so I can get some sleep?"

His eyes grow wide and his palms begin to sweat, "Uh- um, I don't uh know."

She laughs, "I'm kidding."

"Thank goodness, but I can try for an hour or so tomorrow so you can get a nap in." He smiles slightly hoping he looks more confident than he feels.

She returns his smile, "I am over joyed you offered."

Feeling the grip on his pinky loosen he glances at the now sleeping infant and releases his finger. He stands and wraps his arms around her small frame. Her smile lights him up and makes him feel like he is on top of the world. He gently places his lips on her forehead, "I am going to let you get some sleep. See you in the morning, okay?"

She nods, "Okay, goodnight Cullen."

"Goodnight Canley."

A/N

So I know it's shorter than usual, but I thought this was a good ending for the chapter. How will the babysitting go for Cullen?