Chapter 11

Cullen smiles and scoops feed into a bucket handing it to the waiting Canley, "Can, I really don't think you should be doing so much with your shoulder broken."

"Does it count that I really don't care?" She asks smirking in his direction.

He sighs, but can't help the smile, "No, it does not count. What did the doctor tell you anyway?"

"Not to lift anything over twenty pounds and not to use that arm," She admits bringing the bucket back to him and checking on Ashley who sits in the stroller cooing.

"How much does Ashley weight?"

"15 lbs. Listen Cullen we already checked all of this before they released me, okay?" She kisses his cheek and smiles.

He smiles too and wraps his arm around her waist, "Okay, but what about when you go home?"

"I don't know, I'll have to figure that out."

"You know, you could just come home with me, at least until your arm is better," He bends down and whispers in her ear, "Or I propose."

Her cheeks heat up and a smile spreads across her face. He laughs and kisses the top of her head before taking her hand in his and grabbing the handle of the stroller. Glancing at her he chuckles at the scarlet color still sitting on her cheeks, "You sure are adorable when you blush, you that?"

"Oh great! That means you are going to try and make me blush all the time." She rolls her eyes and lengthens her strides to keep up.

Chuckling he says, "Maybe," While shrugging his shoulders.

Shaking her head she laughs too and gets Ashley out of the stroller so he could fold it up and place it back in the bed of her pickup. When he is finished he wipes his hands on his jeans and holds them out then clears his throat, "I take her so I can have your hand."

"You are such a goof, but I'm not arguing," She says handing him Ashley with a chuckle.

Finding the house still quiet and lifeless they settle on the couch with a prepared bottle and a movie in the TV. Just as the previews end and the movie begins Ashley wakes up crying and hungry, just as Canley had suspected. She briefly shakes the bottle before removing the cap and placing it in the baby's mouth. The crying instantly ceases and peace is restored, Cullen smiles at her and kisses her forehead.

Just as the movie comes to an end the clattering of feet down the stairs can be heard. Cullen smiles reassuringly at Canley and grabs the remote. He turn the volume down glances to the doorway. His mom steps in wearing a smile.

"Am I seeing starts or did you two finally come to terms?"

Canley laughs and looks at Cullen to answer.

"Oh thanks! Leave me to answer. Yes you could say that we came to terms, or you could say that we are dating." He laughs at his moms face and kisses Canley's temple.

His mom throws her hands in the air, "What since when?"

Canley laughs, "Just since about two o'clock this morning."

His mom shrieks and jumps up and down. She wraps them both in a hug before rushing up the stairs saying, "I have to tell your dad."

"My mother," Cullen mutters shaking his head.

Canley laughs and leans on his shoulder a slight smile gracing her soft pink lips. For once since she got the call from Chief Mitchel she felt safe and content. Nothing could change how she feels in the arms of her best friend that she is growing to love as more than a friend. Ashley's eyes flutter open and she stares up at Cullen then a toothless grin spreads across the little one's face.

"I think she approves," Cullen whispers and resting his head on the top of Canley's. She nods and savors the moment. Her eyes drift closed and she dozes, then the sound of boots against the stairs jolts her awake again. Cullen laughs, "Why don't you go back up and sleep awhile, I will take care of the little one like I promised."

She smiles and kisses his cheek, "Thank you, Cul."

He watches as she ascends the stairs chuckling at her polar bear pajamas. Never before has he seen her as beautiful as she was through his eyes now. He smiles down at Ashley places his finger in reach of her grasp. Her tiny fingers reach out and wrap around his large one, "You are cute as a button," He whispers.

After about thirty minutes Ashley falls asleep in his arms cuddled up against his chest. He gently stands and lays her on the couch placing a pillow on the outside to keep her from falling off. Then he tiptoes away and into the kitchen where his and her parents sit at the breakfast bar.

"Did you make breakfast?" His dad asks as he pour himself a cup of coffee.

Cullen nods and pulls out a coffee cup for himself.

"No wonder the wind is blowing, what got into you?"

He shrugs, "Nothing, I just got up early and decided to make myself useful."

His dad laughs, "It doesn't have anything to do with the baby and Canley?"

"Maybe, maybe not. Does it really matter why, does it?" He arches an eyebrow in question and glances from one parent to the next.

Everyone feels the tension and drops the subject by asking what the weather is suppose to do. Cullen sighs fills his cup of coffee and moseys back to the couch. Why is everyone making a big deal out of everything? Things are just now being sorted out and now everyone wants to big up the roots and replant the little sapling in the spot they want, why?

He flips the TV back on and turns it to the western channel a John Wayne movie is on. Just as his favorite part of the movie comes on his dad enters the room.

"I am going to feed the horses, you want to come?"

Cullen looks up, "Already done, Canley, Ashley and I fed earlier," He replies before moving his eyes back to the movie, pushing the tension away from his thoughts.

"Oh, thanks. So you guys are talking now?"

Cullen sighs and turn the TV off seeing that the movie is no longer an option, "No sir, we are, uh, I guess you would call it dating."

His dad arches his eyebrows a bright grin spreading gracing his facial features, "Really? That's great! So, um where is she? She didn't leave you with the baby and run, did she?"

Cullen starts to yell, but lowers his voice glancing at Ashley sleeping on the couch, "In all the years she came over and spent time here you really think she would do something like that?" His voice is low, but stern as he speaks his teeth gritted together, "And for the record I told her to go get some rest, that I would watch Ashley," He grits scooping the sleeping baby into his arms and heading up the stairs ignoring the stares and calls from the base of the stairs.

He enters Canley's room quietly and sits in the rocking chair in the corner. Just as he sits Ashley cries sighing he stands back up and bounces her slightly, her shrills only get louder. Canley's head slowly rises and he sees her rub her eyes. Not knowing what else to do he places Ashley in her arms giving her a sympathetic smile and sitting on the edge of the bed, "I am sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up I just couldn't handle it down there and then she woke up," He stops for a breath and catches her smile. "What is so funny?"

"You, you are rambling on as if you just committed murder when really you just interrupted a bad dream." She smiles and props herself up on a pillow.

"Bad dream?" He questions moving beside her on the bed.

She shrugs, "It's no big deal. What were they saying that you couldn't handle anymore?"

He sighs, runs his hand over his face and takes a deep breath, "Dad, he asked if you left Ashley with me and ran away."

"I don't really know what to say."

"Yeah me either. I really don't know if I can stand the tension anymore, do you want to go to your place?"

She smiles, "That sounds good, I need to get back for Monday anyway."

He nods, "About Monday, you never told me what you have to be back for."