Chapter 17

"Thank you so much, Jenny!" Canley calls over her shoulder as Cullen lovingly ushers her down the sidewalk back to her pickup.

He opens her door for her and helps her in, closing it once she is settled into her seat. Then he speed walks back around to the drivers side and gets in, waving to Jenny and Ashley before starting the engine and driving away. He slips his hand into hers as they coast down the little town's streets at a speed of twenty-five miles per hour.

Canley's heart flutters as she gazes across the pickup cab at Cullen. The ends of his hair have started to curl up from underneath his straw hat and little stubble has started to grow from a week of not shaving. She blushes when she notices that he has caught her looking at him. Come on Canley! You used to watch him all the time when you hung out! She shakes her head. Yeah, but that was different! We weren't dating or anything serious.

"Ugh!" She quickly slaps her hand over her mouth with a deep crimson blush. 

Cullen's deep laugh fills the cab as he squeezes her hand, "You having one of your infamous internal battles?" 

"Yes," she mumbles staring out the window to avoid eye contact.

He laughs once again and leans over pecking her cheek before pulling into the café parking lot. He cuts the engine and leans over the console to gently capture her lips with his. She smiles and kisses his cheek before opening her door and smirking at him. A chuckle escapes his lips as he pops his own door open and meets her in the front of the black grill guard.

"You are such a turkey," he whispers lacing his fingers through hers.

She smirks bobs her head and says, "I know, I try." 

He shakes his head and holds the door for her, "You haven't changed that one bit."

She laughs and slides into the booth, "If you thought I would you are crazier than I thought you would ever get."

"Ouch, that hurt!" He dramatically puts his hand over his heart with a sad face slipping to his face just before he starts to laugh.

After they order they make small talk and discuss what the week coming has in store. The topic of Cullen's departure causes her heart to feel as though someone has just shot a rock at it. He notices the  sad expression on her face and smiles to himself. At least I know I'm not the only one that doesn't want leaving to come.

The food comes in record time and all conversation falls away as they eat the homemade pizza they ordered. Cullen pays for it and holds the door for her his heart rate increasing with every step closer to the pickup. He takes a deep breath and wraps his arm around her in efforts to calm his raging nerves. Cullen, calm down and get your head on straight!

A small smile slips to his face when he catches the confused expression on Canley's face when he turns in the opposite direction of Jenny's house. He turns down the main road that leads out of town and picks up a little speed only to slow for the turn that leads down a dirt road.

"Cullen where are we going?" She asks.

He chuckles, "You will see in just a few minutes, Can."

She sighs and slouches in her seat, "Fine," she mutters causing an amused smirk to slip to his lips.

The farther on the county road the faster his heart beats and the sweatier his palms become. What if she doesn't think the same things I do? A gentle touch on his shoulder causes him to turn his head towards her.

"Cul, what's wrong?" She asks her eyebrows raised and a worried expression readying in the forced cares of her forehead.

He fakes a smile, "Nothing, Can."

This makes her expression turn stern and almost cold, "Cullen, you haven't been able to do anything but stare into space and sweat like crazy. What is really going on under your handsome locks?"

He chuckles nervously at her comment. Come on, Cullen, don't mess this up. Only a mile left and it will be time. His knuckles turn white as he grips the steering wheel tighter in efforts to calm his racing heart that is now pounding in his ears. "Canley, I told you it's nothing."

"That is why your knuckles are turning and white and you can't keep my particularly fine truck in the middle of the road?"

"More worried about your pickup than me, interesting!" He teases although the humor hardly reaches his brain before it turns to worry. Cullen! Get it together, no one needs another wreck.

She sighs. "How about you just pull over and we discuss this?"

He places on hand on his chin. "How about not until we get to where we are going?"

She glares at him before leaning against the window. Whatever happens happens, it is all in God's hands to begin with.

Not too long down the road Cullen spots the place he had scoped out prior to planning the date. He glances over at Canley with a smile and pulls off the road into the small clearing. Scrambling from the drivers seat in effort to open her door before she can he catches a glimpse of her cat like smile. He swings her door open and gives her a 'cheesy' smile as she called as kids.

"Where are we?"

He smirks. "On a county road."

She shakes her head. "And you say I haven't changed."

He laughs and helps her out of the pickup planting a kiss on her cheek as she steps to the ground. She smiles at him and takes in the scenery. The mesquite trees have yet to loose their leaves, but they have turned a bright shade of yellow. A slight breeze rustles the browning grass and shakes the shinnery bushes. The crisp air causes her to shiver ever so slightly and turn to gaze at the right.

A gasp escapes her lips as she looks upon a crystal clear, shimmering lake. Large grey catfish swim around in the almost invisible waters and the mesquite leaves that have fallen float like a people sunbathing in a swimming pool. She drags her eyes away from it to look into Cullen's shining eyes. They are coated with a dozen different emotions, happiness, satisfaction, awe, love and a hint of nervousness.

He walks up to her and places on hand on her hip, the other arm wraps around her waist. He plants a gentle kiss on her soft pink lips. "Would you like to dance?"

She smiles as happy tears gather in her eyes. Not trusting her voice she just nods. Everything that has happen across the weekend slips away as he turn his radio up so that it blares into the still night air. His hand resume their positions and she rests one of hers in his shoulder, the other orotund his sin tanned neck.

Keeper of the Stars by Tracy Bird comes on as they begin to dance. She kisses his cheek and lays her head on his shoulder. Cullen wraps his arms tighter around her and sways with the music. This feels so right, even better than dancing at 4-H in high school. This thought makes him chuckle to himself.

After a few songs Cullen slowly steps back and looks into Canley's slightly confused eyes. He fishes a small box from his pocket, bends on one knee and smiles. "Deep down I have wanted to do this since I went to the homeschool dance with you in eighth grade. I know it may be too soon for you, but I'm going to ask anyway. So Canley Spencer will you make me the most privileged man and marry me?"

Happy tears stream down Canley's cheeks as she nods a bright smile, that shows her water stained teeth, spreads across her face. "Yes."