http//: 3

A quiet bell sound awoke me, and I found myself stepping off my panel. I blinked a few times, focusing my eyes, and glanced out the window. It was dark, and at first I couldn't see anything. But then, to my immense surprise, there was a man who seemed to be floating just outside. I took a few steps forward, and so did he. I raised my hand to brush my hair out of my eyes, and so did he. This must be my reflection, I thought, and I pressed my hand to the glass.

I looked at myself. My skin was pale, and my eyes glowed in the early morning darkness. I reached up to touch the angles on my face. My brain told me my hand was there, and that it was cold. So I shivered.

Then, suddenly, as if I had no control over my body, I made my way toward the kitchen, my movements jerky and choppy, and I ended up in front of the cabinet. My arm reached down and pulled out a frying pan and set it on the stove, which began to glow blue, the only light in the darkness. I watched as my hands reached into the refrigerator, pulled out a carton of eggs and a package of bacon, and set them on the counter. I had no idea what I was doing, but, luckily, my arms and feet seemed to, and I moved quickly around the kitchen, frying eggs and toasting bread and spreading butter, adding a little piece of parsley on top of the set up.

The clock on the wall began to light up with a bright light as it struck 07:00, and then the entire house began to glow. I heard footsteps from the hallway, and Dan appeared in the doorway, his hair mussed and his clothes crumpled. He stuck his arms up and stretched, yawning, his eyes shut tight. He dropped his arms, his eyes still closed, and knit his eyebrows, raising his nose to the air slightly and taking a breath in.

He peeled his eyes open, and I held up the plate of food I had made.

"Hello." I smiled. His eyes narrowed, and he sat at the breakfast bar with a weary glance at the plate of food as I set two forks and a knife beside it. Then, whatever was making me do these things against my will shut off, and I dropped my arm.

"Usually, one would say 'Good morning" in the morning." Dan said, his voice husky and monotone, placing his napkin on his lap.

"Good morning." I replied. He picked up a fork, stabbing it into the yolk of the egg, which began to spread. He looked at it for a second, then looked up at me.

"What is this?" He asked. I shrugged, and turned back to the refrigerator, putting the eggs away slowly. I heard his silverware clang against the plate, and he began to eat. I felt myself smile.

"You can go clean my room, now." He said, avoiding looking at me. I nodded curtly, and took the hallway he had appeared from.

I checked at least three doors before I discovered what must have been his bedroom. There was one large queen bed and a single dresser, both in white, with a duvet and pillows in black and grey. I glanced around, searching for any sign of life, but there was nothing. No pictures, no colour, nothing. I opened his closet to find neatly hung black and grey jumpers, black jeans folder meticulously on the shelf below it, below that a shelf for socks and pants, and then, on the ground, three pairs of black dress shoes. I turned. The only thing I could think to even touch was the bed, which I made quickly, tucking the corners in and smoothing it over at least twice. Then I sat on the ground.

I was still for a few seconds, but then something on the dresser caught my eye. A small booklet with the title "PL-34071: A Guide to Your Companion". Confused, I took the booklet down and opened it. It began to speak, a hologram of a person who looked very much like me appeared in my hands.

"Hello and congratulations! You are now the owner of our newest model companion-bot, PL-34071! Or as we like to call him; Phil.

"Phil is composed of the most recent advancements known to technology today, including thousands of phrases, realistic teeth, skin, and hair, and the newest advancement, not included with any other model... the ability to learn!

"When our scientists began to make these advancements, they didn't let anything get in the way of our customers happiness. We gave our bots free will- meaning they will do and say a lot of things they weren't programed to do! But don't worry- they will still be your companion for life!

"Phil has been pre-uploaded with a lot of information, but it is up to you, the owner, to teach him things you want him to know, like your favourite kinds of cereal and how intimate to be. Eventually, he will learn these things by heart, becoming the perfect companion!

"If you read further, you will find ways to reset information, where to order a new Life or Personality Chip, and ways to groom and care for your bot.

" If you have any questions or comments, feel free to call us at any time, and an expert will direct your call. Enjoy your companionship!"

The hologram disappeared, and I shut the book. My brain wanted me to be upset, but I couldn't. I couldn't throw the book across the room. I couldn't scream in anger. I couldn't do anything except stare at the wall opposite me, trying to process the information. ⅖ free will? Were the other ⅗ what made me make breakfast today?

I set the book back on the dresser, and stood. I heard Dan begin to speak, and I padded softly into the hallway. I hung back by the doorway to listen to what he said.

"I hate him, okay? I want to send him back."