/20/ A Change For the Better

*AJ's POV*

"Stop stressing about it," Nikko whispered to me at lunch. I looked up at him.

"I can't do this," I hissed.

"Yes you can," he assured. I dropped the pencil and laid my head in my hands. Nikko poked my arm and I looked up. "Come on..."

After more minutes, I finally understood the Algebra. However, the whole time I was wondering why King never took the time to help me like Nikko had. The bell rang and I dragged my feet to my next period. I sat in the back corner, waiting for this dreaded Health class to begin with one of the guys' coaches now that the other one was suspended. At least I had someone to talk to when Skylar arrived. Class started and there was no sign of King, even though we were having a discussion of serious love versus "fling" relationships before we even moved to the topic of "responsible sex." No one knew of real love situations—even the confident popular girls that had college boyfriends or tough jocks with pretty cheerleader girlfriends.

"Mr. Madsen. Nice of you to join us," the coach said, making me look up to see King at the door. His piercings were missing like they had been for a while now, and instead of a truly mess of hair, it was the usual disarray from the wind outside. Even though it was his normal look, he still looked like he was glowing and I hated that I was seeing him as handsomely as all the preppy I-want-to-date-a-bad-boy-but-not-his-attitude girls did. "Where's your tardy slip?"

"Oh, I'm not staying," he promised as he strode through the classroom. Then why was he here? It's not like he was above skipping class.

I was quickly answered when King crossed the room and pulled me up from my desk to press his lips to mine. It was brief before he pulled us apart.

"I choose you. Don't doubt it," he whispered. "I'm sorry for everything and...I...I choose you, okay. I always have, even if you feel like I haven't."

"This isn't a game of Pokémon," I said lamely, "you can't just choose me when it's convenient."

"I choose you forever, then," he changed. I closed my eyes and made sense of everything. I was standing in my health class—avoiding a breakdown—with my ex-foster-brother's arms locked around my waist as he admitted his feelings for me in front of everyone...including his dramatic ex-pregnant ex-girlfriend. Aside from the surroundings, he was still the boy who was veered as the supreme anti-social delinquent with no ties to anyone and yet he was here, immortalizing our newfound "relationship" by the eyes of nosey teenagers who were either shocked that King Madsen even had a heart or thrilled that the rumors were all true. And that made me remember that even though being assertive was always King's forte, being in the spotlight in front of onlookers was not.

"We'll deal with this later," I whispered.

"No. We deal with this now," he defied. It was attractive to say the least, but I still didn't want to hash anything out in front of anyone.

"Mr. Madsen," the teacher called. He looked over his shoulder and released my waist. I started to sit down, but he stopped me by grabbing my wrist. "Just know that I'm leaving because I don't want another write-up to trash my reputation so your grandma will let us live together again, not because this is over."

I sighed and then sat down in my seat, throwing my hood up and slouching away at my life by the means of my desk. I didn't even want to look at anyone's reactions.

***

"AJ," someone called. I turned back on my heels to see the counselor. She made one gesture and I ended up in her office yet again.

"I heard that King went into your health class and—"

"I worry about the rumors and the rate they travel in this school," I interrupted.