Chapter 1

In the quiet environment of the Hogwarts library, Lillian Knight found herself snug in the corner with her chair. In her tucked up lap sat her leather sketchbook as she scribbled the face of a random student. She enjoyed taking time away from her studies to draw her surroundings. It was calming to the girl, so she made it the habit to try sitting down every night to draw.

It was almost closing time for the library sadly, and she had just put the finishing touches to the girls face she was drawing. Satisfied with her work that night, she shut her book and unraveled her legs. Packing up her bag, she stood up and yawned loudly. For the past week she had been staying up late to work on school work, and now she could finally sleep in for the weekend.

But just as she was about to make her way out the door, her eye had caught a young boy sitting at one of the tables in the back. Normally she wouldn't bother with other students, but this was Newt Scamander. A Hufflepuff boy in her year that had once set her robe on fire in charms class. Of course it was on accident and she forgave him right away, but after the encounter she started to notice the boy much more.

He was an awkward fellow, and with his sandy red hair and his freckled cheeks that always seem flushed, he was quite cute. Well, Lillian thought any boy that was clumsy, awkward, and taller than her was attractive. They never talked unless it was to borrow the others notes from lessons.

What intrigued her though was how he was acting. Sitting alone at his table, there was no one around he could have been talking to. However, when she looked back at him he was whispering something urgently into his pocket. Squinting her eyes, she watched him even longer, desperate to get a glimpse at what he was talking to.

Scamander suddenly looked up feeling like someone was watching him. Everyone in the library was busy with their own work, and with a sigh of relief he looked back down at his robe pocket. He stuck his finger in to pet the little bowtruckle that crawled around in there. It was a small creature, only the size of someone's hand. It resembled a tree root with a little mouth and eyes, and on the top of it's head sprouted one leaf. Newt had found this one back at home. When he first found it, it was living on one of the trees outside of his house. He visited it every day so that he could to study it, and soon enough the creature had wanted to stay with the boy.

Newt was strict about bringing his small collection of creatures to class. He couldn't risk getting caught and having them all taken away. But this morning, the little guy was having attachment issues and refused to let him go out the door without him. The Hufflepuff boy ended up giving up and said if he could keep out of sight that he could come along. The bowtruckle however had other plans and was constantly trying to poke it's head out of Newt's pocket so it can see all the new places.

"If you don't stop I'm taking you back to the room." He whispered at the bowtruckle, who hesitantly crawled back into his pocket.

"You'll take what back to the room?" A voice asked from behind him. Startled, Newt spun around in his chair, instantly covering his pocket up with his hand. He felt the small creature squirm, but he was too distracted as he saw Lillian Knight standing right behind him.

Looking down at him was a pretty young Hufflepuff girl. With her short black hair and her speckled green eyes, she watched him carefully, her eyes flicking down to his hand. All Scamander could do though was blubber like a gaping fish, knowing that he's been caught.

"What do you have in your pocket Scamander?" She questioned, giving her a look.

"N-nothing." He stuttered. "It's none of your business." He snapped at her, trying to get her to leave so he wouldn't get in trouble.