Chapter Thirteen

"When I come back to Berlin, you are coming with me." Father growled while we are in his room.

"B-but Papa, I thought you'd let me stay and continue my study in Wakefield?" I said, trying to sound as calm as I can be.

"Things change!" Then he kept pacing left and right. He usually does that when he is stressed, angry or both.

"But father, I wish to finish my degree."

"You can very well live without a degree on your resume" He said, his brows furrows making him more intimidating.

His words were so hurtful that I couldn't help but cry. I didn't want my father to see me crying so I storm out of the room and went straight towards the stairs. As soon as I left, I heard papa saying "Leave her." Nikolai must have wanted to run after me.

I kept descending down the stairs. My cheeks and are warm from my crying. Why must Papa think that I am just some puppet he could control? Have I become something that he thought would not have wanted something for myself?

I exited the hotel and the cold air of Seattle welcomed me. I didn't know where to go; all I know is that I didn't want to be in the same place as Papa so I kept walking. I know I'm not someone my father would be very much proud of but I'm not going to be somebody that's going to financially dependent to her husband and do absolutely nothing with life.

He may be right about me being able to live without a degree on my resume. Heck, my brother and I could live until we die from our inheritance but that's not the point why I strive so hard to become myself all those years. I could have gone off to Oxford and take the same program as my brother and be part of my family's legacy but I didn't because I didn't wanted to stand by their shadow, always going to just be someone that's going to do what was expected her to do. I wish for a normal life, a life where I can get confused on what to buy for groceries, to somehow struggle and pay my rent, to work hard on something to live through the day and the list goes on. All I'm saying is that I just really didn't want my life to be served in a silver platter.

I got lost into thinking that I didn't know where I have come from or where I have gone but just then, someone spoke.

"Vita."

I turn around and saw Callum looking at me. As soon as our eyes met, I didn't care and just went straight towards him and wrap my arms tightly around his neck. He wraps his arms around me just as tight and kisses the crook of my neck.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I'm sorry I lied but I didn't want to." I said, my voice muffled in his shoulders but still quite comprehensible.

"It's okay. Those things don't matter now."

We pull out of our hug but still at arm's length, afraid to let go of each other. "Papa wanted me to go back to Berlin after his meeting with the president tomorrow." I said, my tears falling down to my cheeks once again. He cups both of my cheeks and brushes away my tears with his thumb. "I didn't want to go, I didn't want to leave."

Pain crosses his face then suddenly replaced by something else I couldn't point at. "I know..."

I held his hands that are still cupping my face. "What do we do now?"

"If you go to Berlin, I'll go to Berlin." He said, nonchalantly. As if going to different countries is as easy as going to another town.

My eyes widen in surprise. "B-but what about you're studying? What of your degree?"