Chapter 3

Breathing hard, Leafstep skidded to a halt as she beheld the creek and rock rubble before her. Yes, this was the beginning of the Northern Territory- where WindClan territory began. Behind her, a light brown tom with a long scar on his flank, a green-eyed apprentice, and a sleek white tom followed suit, stopping in their tracks . Sagepaw almost ran into Iceclaw, earning him a glare from behind. Sagepaw ducked his head, but lifted it as soon as Iceclaw turned away- his eyes as bright and lively as before, his paws barely in control against his will to skip away with a butterfly. 

Leafstep purred at the young apprentice's enthusiasm. He was so young, so naive- and as fluttery as the winged insects that he adored. Though Sagepaw's demeanor could be disarming, his skill and tactic and battle had tricked many enemies before. Leafstep knew he would grow up to be a wonderful warrior. 

"Iceclaw?"

"Yes, Leafstep?" The warrior's dark brown gaze turned to meet hers, and Leafstep stared him down. Though he may have been handsome, the tom was ambitious, arrogant- and Snowpool had told Leafstep, against all her denial, that Iceclaw pined after her. Leafstep felt, on the other hand, repulsed.

"Let's hunt along the west way. Nettlescar and Sagepaw, go towards the east. Show Sagepaw how to fish." Leafstep's eyes revealed a fleck of amusement as she imagined how that would turn out. 

As they separated to split up, there was a movement from across the distant horizon. Leafstep's gaze snapped up, and there- a feline's silhouette was sprinting across the plains. In a different territory, they were- but if they kept running, they would enter ThornClan territory soon enough.

Long-legged, sleek, and swift: a WindClan cat.

Leafstep pulled her muzzle back in a devilish grin. Not as fun as defeating ThunderClan and their beloved Alderstar, but it could work. They could still have fun, if it came to a fight.

"Stay behind me, Sagepaw." Nettlescar growled, he and Iceclaw flanking either side of Leafstep in unison. The cat grew nearer, and behind him streamed four others. Leafstep immediately tensed, seeing the sudden increase in cats flood over the hill. Trouble was coming, she could smell it.

Finally, when the ThornClan cats had just about snapped with the tension of waiting in the air, the five WindClan cats came into view and skidded to a halt. Leafstep flattened her ears as she recognized them: The long-legged bluish she-cat was Willowstar, the beige tom was Sorrelsplash, the deputy, and the others were warriors: Cloudface, Sharpfrost, and Hawktalon. Leafstep raised her tail aggressively as she glared seethingly at the cats. "Willowstar, please explain to me why you are trespassing on ThornClan territory, bringing a pawful of pathetic bodyguards, and suddenly appearing to have a death wish?"

Willowstar held her chin up, her yellow eyes like flint. "We come for help." 

Leafstep flattened her ears, and her tail raised slightly. "What?"

Willowstar began to explain, obviously having difficulty begging to her rival, as she choked more than once. "ThunderClan is stealing prey from our territory, and leading raids on our camp. Since they have so many cats, as the most thriving clan, we fear that if we challenge them to admit to these feats at the next gathering, they will launch an attack and we... we will all be wiped out."

It was true- ever since the heroic and dazzling reign of Firestar, ThunderClan had been multiplying like a nest of mice. As their population grew, so did their arrogance and ambition: it was only a matter of time before they declared war on the rest of the clans, or vice versa. In the past year or so, only ThornClan's arrival and defeat of the Four Clans System had been the known victory against ThunderClan. The next largest in numbers was RiverClan, since they were mostly neutral and didn't dally in skirmishes, as they said to cover up their cowardice. After that was ShadowClan, WindClan, and then ThornClan: though the fiercest and most merciless, ThornClan was diminutive in numbers. With 

Willowstar looked up at Leafstep through slitted eyes, and Leafstep felt a jolt of pity for the WindClan leader. Though the famed swift runners were known for their lean frame, it was obvious they were starving- Sorrelsplash looked like he hadn't had a meal in moons, and Sharpfrost had a gaunt look in his green eyes. Having always secretly hated ThunderClan the most, Leafstep swore to herself that she would make those fox-faces sorry.

She nodded. "However we can help, Willowstar." she mewed grimly. "Need us in a battle, and we will be there."