Chapter 12

Leafstep stared down at the cats below her as rage simmered and boiled through her bones. A vast, endless, seething rage that scared even Leafstep herself sometimes at the power roiling through it. She swept her gaze down at all the cats, penetrating them until they shifted and cast their eyes down. To his credit, Bristlefang didn't blink. His icy blue eyes held hers until Leafstep finally broke away, a strange feeling echoing into her heart alongside the rage.

Not strong enough, though.

"You all have gathered here today to announce the death of Sootflight, our beloved deputy and close friend. He has died honorably, having just served his death battle." Leafstep's breath hitched, but she inhaled deeply and continued. "And, of course, we dominated ThunderClan."

Cheers rang from the ThornClan cats, trying to amend the sadness laying so heavily amongst them. Leafstep felt a pang of pleasure, stubbornly refusing to give into her anger, as she watched her cats trying so hard to change the mood. Sootflight's death was a shock to all, though, and Leafstep saw Jadepaw, his daughter, standing at the edge next to Winterkit with tears in her eyes. The cheering died down, and Leafstep opened her mouth to start the dusk patrols but stopped when she saw, out of her peripherals, Snowpool emerging from the medicine cave. She trotted over swiftly with trouble in her eyes, and Leafstep felt a growing uneasiness as her friend approached. What could be afoot? 

All cats' eyes turned to Snowpool as she began to speak. "Cats of ThornClan," she began quietly, "There is some troubling news I must pass on to you. Breezepelt, an aged WindClan elder, has, unfortunately, passed away from exhaustion after his sprint to our territory. Not only is this a tragedy for the clans, but WindClan might percieve this as an act of war- if they believe we slaughtered him when he arrived."

A cry of protest and anger rose from the ThornClan cats. "Why in the world would they think we killed him?" Birchtail, the cream she-cat, snarled as she pushed her way in front of the crowd. Birchtail was possibly the most caring and docile of the ThornClan cats, but she was also probably the most steadfast and loyal warrior. When it came to it, Birchtail wasn't afraid to make a scene, and Leafstep prided on that. Though, it could take a struggle to calm her down again.

"Yes, why?" Darkpaw, the calico apprentice, piped up. A bit brooding and mischievous at times, Leafstep would have been suspicious of the dark apprentice- if not for his loyal demeanor, also. Darkpaw may have put himself before others sometimes, but the clan was always his top priority. Besides, Sootflight's quiet yet strong air, as Darkpaw's mentor, would set him straight.

Sootflight.

Sootflight was gone.

Leafstep cut in just as Iceclaw opened his jaws to chime in. "Iceclaw, Darkpaw, and Birchtail, if you three are so indignant about this possible theory, then how about you help Snowpool take Breezepelt's body to WindClan's border? You may explain this situation- peacefully. Go on now."

As the four cats entered the medicine den and then left camp, Leafstep turned back to her clan. "Now that Sootflight is gone, I will choose a new deputy by moonhigh. If anyone tries to flatter me and sway my opinion to change my choice, they will spend the night cleaning the nursery- and will be out of the running for deputy."

The cats nodded vigorously below. Leafstep continued, "Now for the evening patrols. Soot-" she cut off midsentence, and cleared her throat. "Bristlefang?"

"Yes, Leafstep?" The dark brown tabby tom stepped up, his icy eyes bright. Bristlefang was the cat whose personality was most similar to Leafstep's own. He was obedient and calm on a regular basis, but when provoked, he would lash out with a temper so strong it could send the strongest ThunderClan warrior running. Leafstep admired his temperament, since sometimes she could not leash hers. 

"Bristlefang, you take a patrol to the East Territory with... your apprentice, Swiftpaw, and I. You may start going there- I'll see if I can beat you to it once I finish dealing patrols." 

A twinkle was laced in her emerald gaze, and Bristlefang smiled deviously back at her. There it was again- that tingle of something that Leafstep couldn't place. She gave Swiftpaw, the black-and-white she-cat, a small wink before she turned back to the rest of ThornClan. "Birchtail, take Darkpaw and Rowanstorm to the Creek. Go on now; Nightsong, Nettlescar, Spiderpelt, Iceclaw, Sagepaw, you five can roam as you please- but I suggest at least two of you do some training with Sagepaw. His Assessment may be coming soon." Leafstep flicked her tail as she leapt down from the Highrock. "Vices!"

Vices, pronounced 'Vee-kas', meant 'Immoral or wicked behavior.' It was a humorous yet fierce way to end meetings, and so it became ThornClan's official parting words. Just a tribute to remind them, and other clans overhearing, that ThornClan was merciless and cold-hearted- yet lead by the law of justice. 

Leafstep surged away after Bristlefang and Swiftpaw.