Chapter 6

Leafstep yawned and rolled over, her leaf-green eyes fluttering open. Flexing her claws, she stood up and looked over for Snowpool and Nettlescar, but neither of them were there. 

A prickle of uneasiness tickled Leafstep's spine, and she narrowed her eyes. She raced out of the medicine cave into the camp, where the storm had let up and the usual cloud layer hung thick above her head. Warriors and apprentices were pacing around the nursery frantically, whispering to each other. The nettle bush was too thick to see inside, but Leafstep's heart began to thud frantically. Bolting over, she spotted cream-colored Swiftpaw and black-and-white Birchtail first, whispering to each other. "What's going on?" Leafstep half-yowled. Swiftpaw's burnt gold eyes widened, and she scuffed her paws against the ground anxiously. "It's Briarkit, one of Brackenheart's new kits!" 

Leafstep groaned with fear. "Are they dead?"

"Well..." Birchtail cut in, "He just... isn't waking up. And he's ice-cold."

Leafstep emitted another groan and went to the nursery, cursing whatever gods were above. Why, justice, why do you do this to us? We have so little cats, after all! 

Lost in her prayer, Leafstep barely realized she was stepping on a kit until there was a squeak and an oomph. Horrified, she jumped backwards and peered down. There, tiny and precious, were Brackenheart's three other kits. A small silver she-kit with ice-blue eyes looked up nervously at Leafstep, her eyes so large they seemed to swallow her face. Next to the she-kit was a flaming orange tom with bright amber eyes. He seemed half-frozen with surprise, one of his minuscule paws still hovering in the air. Leafstep had just opened her mouth to apologize to the poor, frightened things, when a dappled dark grey shape leapt in front of the other two. Though smaller than the large orange tom, the dark grey she-cat glared ferociously up at Leafstep with her amber eyes narrowed. "Hey!" she snapped. "Don't step on Shadekit!can't you see where you're going, you mouse-brain?"

Leafstep chuckled and stared down at the kits with utmost amusement, some of her tense fear fading. "I deeply apologize to you and your sister,... what's your name, little one?"

The slate she-kit still seemed unsatisfied, as she continued to glare at Leafstep. "What's yours?" she retorted. 

Leafstep smiled. "I am Leafstep, leader of ThornClan."

The reaction was drastic and immediate. The silver inhaled so sharply that she sneezed, the ginger yelped and leapt back, and the dark grey shrunk down low, her ears flat. Slowly, she began to back away. "I'm-I'm so very sorry, p-please forgive-"

Leafstep snorted. "Oh, stop your groveling. I'm not King of the Forest. Now,tell me your names." she meowed briskly."

The silver she-kit with light blue eyes stared up at her. "I'm Shadekit." she squeaked. "I'm the one you stepped on."

She announced it like it was a triumphant feat, and Leafstep huffed with amusement. The large ginger tom bushed out his short fur and announced, "I'm Firekit!" 

Leafstep growled low in her throat, causing him to widen his dark orange eyes. "Tell me, do you plan on being anything like Firestar? The ThunderClan cat?" her voice was dangerously low and soft. 

Firekit shook his little head quickly. "No, no! Mother told me he was bad." 

Quicker than a flash, Leafstep was all smiles again. She flicked her tail and turned to the fierce she-kit, with short dark grey tabby fur and large amber eyes. "Before you eat me alive, could you tell me your name?"

The she-kit chuffed with amusement, her posture relaxing. "I'm Winterkit! I woke up first."

Leafstep nodded. "How wonderful for you three. Now, run along and play, and don't get under anyone's feet. Also, don't leave the camp."

The three kits nodded vigorously before scampering away, Winterkit at the lead. Despite herself, Leafstep smiled. Winterkit reminded her of a young Leafstep- fierce, bold, and full of leader qualities. She only could hope that they didn't run into any trouble. 

Ducking into the nursery den, Leafstep braced herself for what she would see...