Chapter 8

"All cats loyal to ThornClan, gather below the highrock for a meeting!"

Slowly, cats began to gather below the Highrock where Leafstep stood. The mood in the camp was thickly melancholy, and grief hung in the air like a dead weight. It was truly terrible that Briarkit had died, but they must continue on with their lives. With a battle against ThunderClan drawing ever closer, ThornClan needed to keep their spirits up and their strength high. To do that, Leafstep had to raise their moods somehow. 

"We gather together today to celebrate the death of Briarkit, son of Brackenheart and Spiderpelt." Leafstep began. "He has moved on into Mother Nature's kingdom, and only she knows where he is now. We will miss him, and hope that he enjoys his service in another land now. Spiderpelt?"

Spiderpelt emerged from the nursery, his eyes heavy with grief. In between his jaws was a tiny, fragile ginger body. Daintily and sweetly, he laid it down at Leafstep's paws, and her heart almost broke at the sight of the helpless kit. How could justice be so cruel?

No, Leafstep lifted her chin and hardened her resolve. Justice always had its just and fair reasons. If they wanted Briarkit to die, then so be it.

As the tradition went, Leafstep turned on the rock and jumped down, picking up Briarkit. She then entered the cave under the Highrock and buried him silently, showering dirt on the small kit until he could not be seen. It wasn't hard, with such a tiny body to bury.

As she exited the cave, Leafstep held her head high. "It is done." she spoke clearly and loudly. Some sighed sadly, but when Leafstep scanned the crowd for the source of her concern, she saw Brackenheart sitting among her family, her chin high, her back straight. A powerful throb of pride sung through her veins like sunshine pouring in. Now that was a queen fit of ThornClan.

"On the other hand," Leafstep continued, jumping back up onto the Highrock, "We also have come together to make our clan stronger. As you all know, yesterday Willowstar asked us to aid WindClan next time ThunderClan raided them, and though Snowpool is the best medicine cat in the lands-" a smile here in there, lifting the cats' spirits-"It would be nice if she had an assistant."

The crowd gasped and smiled; the time had finally come. Leafstep raised her head high. "Jadekit, come here."

The silver tabby she-kit padded over, her green eyes strong and bright, reflecting Leafstep's own. "Jadekit, are you willing to take on the role of a medicine cat, and serve your clan to the best of your potential?"

Jadekit sat up straighter. "I am."

"Then from now on until you become medicine cat yourself, you shall be known as Jadepaw, healer apprentice of ThornClan. We welcome you to the clan as your new rank, and you shall make ThornClan proud."

Cheers went up from the rest of the cats, and Leafstep's heart thrummed happily as she watched Jadepaw walk over to celebrate with Snowpool. Not only had she cheered up the other cats, but also herself.