Chapter 13

Winterkit snorted. "No way."

"Yes way." Shadekit purred mischievously. "You want to bet?"

A vivid image flashed across Winterkit's mind: last time she had made a bet, she ended up being thrown to the ground by an enraged leader. It hadn't gone very well.

Still, Winterkit would have won the last bet anyway. She was the closest to the Highrock.

"Hmm..." Winterkit pretended to think, giving her short chest fur a couple of licks to 'stall for time.' "How about... yes!"

Shadekit snarled playfully. "Then watch!"

When Nightsong and Nettlescar had gone to train, Brackenheart and Spiderpelt had gone for a walk, Jadepaw had gone out for herbs and Iceclaw had gone to accompany her, and Snowpool was busy in her den- the three kits couldn't believe their luck. Unless Snowpool came out of the medicine cave, they had the entire camp to themselves. Naturally, it was inevitable they would get into trouble.

The idea to climb the Highrock was Winterkit's idea. Shadekit had always been the nimblest, though, and she was in a feisty mood- so Firekit and Winterkit decided to challenge her to climbing up the Highrock and jumping down. Shadekit agreed immediately, and here they were.

Night began to fall as Shadekit placed her first silver paw on the tall boulder. Winterkit's heart thrummed in her chest as she and Firekit pressed together, watching Shadekit mount the boulder. She slipped once, but regained her balance... and finally, finally, the little silver kit scrambled frantically on top of the boulder. Much taller than it was wide, Shadekit's eyes were round as moons as she swayed on the small flat surface of the Highrock. "How does Leafstep do it?" she meowed in wonder after Firekit and Winterkit's cheers died down. "The camp looks so... small from here! And I can see forever!"

A movement at the corner of Winterkit's eye made her jolt. "You may be able to see forever, Shadekit, but can you see all of the patrols coming back on the horizon?"

It was true, silhouettes of cats were racing toward them from all sides of the plains. Shadekit gulped, and almost stepped back before realizing it might occur in her injuring herself. "Um... Winterkit, you usually have the ideas... what in the world are we going to do?" Shadekit cried, the pitch of her voice careening upwards with nerves as the patrols got ever closer. Oh, the trouble they would be in if they were discovered... "Brackenheart's going to have a cow!" Firekit screeched, watching a faint ginger shape and grey one stream towards them. Winterkit could only think of one possibility for escape, though...

"Well, Shadekit, you still have to finish your part of the bet to win," Winterkit piped up, a challenging edge to her voice, "So are you going to jump or not!"

Shadekit's already-enormous blue eyes widened impossibly. Firekit jumped right underneath the Highrock, staring up at Shadekit. "Don't do it, Shadekit!" he cried. "Winterkit, are you crazy?"

"Crazy enough to get us out of this situation free." Winterkit's voice rose with her building idea. "Firekit, you stand right below Shadekit. Shadekit, lower yourself as much as possible. I'll stand on Firekit's shoulders and catch you!"

It wasn't a safe idea, but it was the only one they had, and time was running out. Without another word, Firekit lowered his massive frame and let Winterkit clamber onto his ginger shoulders. When he rose up, Winterkit wobbled, but a glance back let her see the growing shape of her mother and father. She looked up at her sister. "Shadekit, you ready?"

Shadekit nodded. Slowly, she lowered herself down headfirst until she could jump onto Winterkit without causing any of them much harm. "Ready... and..." Winterkit breathed, "And-"