I knew: Steve X Reader

"Just go for a jog he said. It'll be fun, he said." You huffed quietly to yourself as your feet started to drag across the concrete. You could here the sound of his feet hitting the ground behind you. "I swear to God Steve if you say-"

"On your left."

He passed you with ease while laughing. You rolled your eyes and decided you were too out of breath to reply. You slowed to a stop and dropped to the base of a tree while panting like a dog at the beach. You watched Sam slow down as he  approached you.

"Welcome to my world Y/n" He chuckled as he took a seat beside you and took a swig of water. He offered you some but you shook your head.

"Makes me vomit after running." You sigh. "Though I got to say, I want to get back at him for being so... so. Perfect. For lack of better terms." You smiled as Sam laughed. You both watched him make another lap. "And I think I know just what to do." A smirk played on your lips.

"I think I might like where this is going." Sam grinned.

---

"You want me to help you do what?" Pietro asked frowning while standing up a little straighter.

You sighed. "I need you to help me on our next run. It's just a little friendly competition between Steve and I. He just doesn't know about it yet." You kinda shrugged at the last part.

"If he doesn't know it I want no part. I do not need the Captain mad at me." He backed up and shook his head.

"He's not going to be mad at you." You say standing quickly. "I promise. He probably won't even be mad." You smiled as little now. "I just need you to help me beat him at running."

Pietro hesitated a moment longer before nodding slowly. "Okay. I can do that."

You smiled widely at him. "You're awesome. So here is the plan." You leaned closer and explained to him what you were thinking and between the two of you, you tweaked the plan until it was fool proof.

---

"Hey Cap." You walk into the training room and watch him throw one last punch at the bag. "Have a moment?" You asked dropping on the bench and patted the space beside you.

"Uh. Yeah?" He turned and gave you an easy smile. "What's up?" He dropped beside you. "Nothing is wrong, is there?" He asked frowning at you.

"Oh no. Everything is peachy. I just wanted to know if toy wanted to partake in a friendly competition." You smiled widely.

"Friendly competition?" He repeated and raised an eyebrow. "Is it going to be as friendly as when you and Clint went head to head at monopoly?" He snickered.

"Hey. That was a war zone and I am not responsible for the coffee table being busted." You said putting your hands up defensively. "Just a little race. If I win you have to do me a favor."

"And if I win?" He asked.

"You can do whatever you wish." You shrug and smile with confidence.

"It's a deal. Tomorrow morning." He nodded and stood.

You followed suit and nodded once. "May the odds be ever in your favor Mr. Rodgers." You smirked before going back to the lounge.

---

"Hold up." You close your eyes and hold your hand up for the man to stop talking. "You mean to tell me that you're too sick to run today? How can you do this to me?" You dropped beside him on the bed.

"I am most sorry Y/n. But every time I move I think I could throw up." Pietro frowned at you.

"It's probably all those cookies you're eating. Now I'm not one to push away sweets but even I know there is a limit." You smiled softly. "But that's besides the point. Just cross your fingers and toes that Cap doesn't have anything too horrible planed for me after I lose miserably." You sigh and stand. Closing the distance to the door you turned and gave a small wave. "Hope you feel better Pietro."

You stepped into the elevator with Sam right behind you.

"So your brilliant plan failed huh?"

You scrunched your nose. "Yeah. You could say that."

"Well it's not like any of us could beat him. So don't beat yourself up to much. He is a super soldier after all."

You mocked his last sentence lightly and smiled. "Yeah. I'm just a dork who doesn't think things through sometimes."

"You can say that again." He smiled and laughed when you hit his arm.

---

"Okay. Rules are simple. First to finish two laps wins. From there the deal the two of you made gets worked out. Understood?" Sam asked looking between the two of you.

"Got it." You nodded and looked over at Steve. A simple gray shirt and blue shorts and yet somehow he looked amazing in them. Damn why did he have to be so hot? His gaze flicked to you and you both smiled.

"Ready to lose Y/L/N?" He asked as he took his position.

"Nope. But it's bound to happen anyway Rodgers. So let's get this over with quickly." You smiled more to yourself. You still felt pretty confident. Pietro wasn't the only person you recruited for slowing Steve down. He was just the main part. Now it was all hope.

Sam shouted for you to start and you instantly noted that Steve wasn't running his normal speed. You refrained from sprinting ahead but knew it would just wear you out faster. You were good with speed, just not distance. Half way through the first lap you rolled your eyes and huffed. "What are you going to do? Let me win?"

Steve laughed. "And miss an opportunity to have you do something? I'm not about to miss that. Thought I'd make it a close race." He replied easily.

Darn it. You were already breathing like a thoroughbred after a race and he was talking as if he was standing still. You raised your eyes to the sky but pushed on. Any moment now one of your team mates should appear and provide help, but nothing happened. Had they all abandoned you? You thought slightly irritated.

Half way through the second lap that was the conclusion you came to. And when you confronted them, they would say they forgot it was today. You rolled your eyes yet again and decided to try and kick it into high gear. Steve was unsurprisingly ahead of you and sped up when you did. He crossed the finish line and turned to look at you with a wide grin while you put your hands on your knees.

"Not cool Rodgers." You panted and looked up as he approached you. You straightened and lifted your head. "But a deal is a deal. So," You raised your hands and dropped them back to your sides with a small thump, "What is it that you want?"

You were subconsciously aware of how close he was when he stopped walking and you gazed up at him. A small smile played on his lips and your stomach twisted in knots. You had known Steve for a few years now and had found yourself falling for him.

"I want a kiss."

Your eyes widened slightly. It was so unlike Steve to say that. He was always worried about what someone else would do or say or how they would react. Thus naturally, at your obvious shock, he lost his smile.

"I mean unless I'm crossing a line or something. I don't want to make you fell uncomfortable." He started stammering and took a step back.

Knowing you had to act quickly or miss the chance you grabbed his shirt to stop him for retreating farther, and stood on tip toe to kiss him. You instantly felt his arms around your waist as he pulled you closer. After a moment he pulled back to look down at you.

"And just for the record. I knew what you were planning on with everyone else." He smiled and was clearly satisfied with himself. "Turns out they were on my side rather than yours." He teased and turned to look at where the whole team stood with Sam. Including the 'sick' Pietro.

"Oh that is cold Steve. So very cold." You laughed and shook your head but didn't break away from him.