Chapter 12

ALL RIGHTS TO THE CHARACTERS (except Celeste, she's mine.) BELONG TO THE AMAZING RICK RIORDAN. I DO NOT OWN THE PJO/HoO SERIES!!!

Chapter 12 - Annabeth

Her only thought was Percy. She had no idea where he was. Jason, Piper, and she burst above the surface watching the remains of the Argo 2 float past them.

The air was so smoky and foggy, so they had no idea where the others were.

"What just happened?" Piper asked, her hands shaking.

"I-I don't know." Jason stammered, turning pale. Suddenly, his eyes rolled into the back of his head and he slumped forward. Annabeth and Piper had to catch him.

"Jason!" Piper cried.

"It's the arai. The curses. You attack them, they place curses on you. Only if you have curses that is. Percy and I met them in Tartarus." Annabeth said.

"Will he be alright?" Piper asked.

Annabeth wanted to comfort Piper, but she wasn't sure how. She remembered Percy dying in her arms and Bob the Titan trying to heal him. But they didn't have Bob with them now.

"I don't know. We barely made it out from them alive in Tartarus." Annabeth said. She knew she was being pessimistic, but it was the truth.

Tears welled up in Piper's eyes. "We have to find the others." She said.

Annabeth nodded. Thinking of Percy was making her heart hurt. "Never separated again", that was the promise.

"So much for that", Annabeth thought.

"Come on, I think I see some land not too far from here, we can swim." Annabeth said.

"But the others." Piper said.

"We'll look for them after we take care of Jason." Annabeth said. Piper nodded and they swam off.

"I wish Percy was here." Piper blurted out after a few minutes. Annabeth tensed at the mention of his name.

"Why?" Annabeth asked even though it was a stupid question.

"Because he's a son of the sea god. He could help us get through without drowning or being caught by a current or violent sea creature." Piper said, still clutching Jason close to her.

Annabeth sighed and continued to paddle forward. Piper was lucky. At least she had her boyfriend. Annabeth was alone.

When they finally reached land, they collapsed onto the sand. Annabeth wrung out her hair as Piper examined Jason's wounds.

His face was pale and scraped. His arms were bleeding and he had a puncture in his ribs. His leg looked awkwardly bent and his neck was slashed on the side.

Annabeth grimaced. He must have been in terrible pain. Then, Jason reminded her painfully of Percy.

Percy's pale face and quivering lips. His eyes losing color, life being drained out of him. The deep gash that went through his ribs. And all Annabeth had done was walk around aimlessly, blind.

The memory was painful and she blinked away tears, tearing her gaze from Jason's face.

"We need to get him help." Piper said.

Annabeth nodded and helped Piper lift Jason up. He was heavier than Annabeth thought he would be.

They dragged Jason barely half a mile before they collapsed, groaning. Jason wasn't the only one who had gotten attacked by the arai.

Annabeth's head was pounding and she gritted her teeth to help her forget the pain.

"Maybe we should rest." Piper muttered. Annabeth could tell that Piper wasn't feeling great either.

"No, we have to keep going. Lying out here in the open isn't safe and none of us are strong enough to keep guard if we're attacked." Annabeth said.

Piper sighed. "Alright. But where do we go?"

Annabeth shrugged. The air was so misty and foggy, she could barely see in front of her.

"Come on. Let's keep walking. We'll find somewhere eventually." Annabeth said.

Piper nodded and they both trudged on, carrying Jason on their shoulders.

His weight wasn't helping.

Tired and weak, Annabeth hoped with all her heart that Percy had gotten out of the explosion alive. If he hadn't, Annabeth had no idea what she'd do with her life.

She shook away the thought and walked on into the never-ending fog.