Chapter 13

ALL RIGHTS TO THE CHARACTERS (except Celeste, she's mine.) BELONG TO THE AMAZING RICK RIORDAN. I DO NOT OWN THE PJO/HoO SERIES!!!

Chapter 13 - Percy

His memory was foggy, but he briefly remembered the shattering pieces of the ship mast hitting him clean over the head.

Everything after that was a blur.

When he awoke, he was underwater.

Thankfully, the water was healing him.

He looked up to see lights above the surface.

It was fire. There had been an explosion.

He felt an hand on his arm and turned to find Celeste next to him. In fact, Leo, Frank, and Hazel were also next to him.

The only thought that crossed Percy's mind was, "How are they breathing?"

Percy was pretty sure he wasn't helping them breath, but he wasn't worried about that right now.

Before he could react to anything, Celeste dragged him to the surface. The others popped above the surface as well, gasping for air.

"So maybe they weren't breathing. Just holding their breath." Percy thought.

Suddenly, Celeste wrapped him in a hug which caught him off guard.

"Thank the gods you're alright." She said.

Awkwardly, Percy slowly pushed her off of him.

"Um, thanks for your concern." He said uncomfortably.

Her face turned a deep shade of red as if just realizing what she had done. "Sorry. I just-"

Percy stopped her before she could finish. Then, he seemed to realize that the others were gone. Including Annabeth.

"Where's Annabeth!? And the others!?" He stammered. Losing Annabeth was probably the worst thing that could ever happen. Just as they were together and out of Tartarus, she's gone just like that.

"We lost them when the boat exploded." Leo said.

Percy's mind started to race. Was Annabeth okay? An explosion like that could-no. He wouldn't think that way.

Annabeth was still alive, he could feel it in his heart.

"We'll find them Percy. But right now, we need to stay together." Hazel said.

Percy nodded and the five of them swam until they found land. As soon as Percy was out of the water, he felt light headed and dizzy, and the others had to catch him.

He dropped onto his knees, grasping his head in his hands. He barely noticed Celeste crouch down next to him.

"Don't worry. Everything will be alright." She said. Her voice was calming and he felt as if he'd heard the voice before when he was very young.

He lifted his head to look at her, but she was standing, talking to the others, as if she hadn't been next to Percy at all.

He sighed and slowly got to his feet to join the others. The air was smoggy, making him choke on each breath. He tried to envision Annabeth standing next to him, her arm draped over his shoulder as she tended to him.

It gave him a warm feeling just thinking about her. He wouldn't lose her again and he would do whatever it took to find her.

Meanwhile, the others were standing around something that they had drawn in the sand.

"We should look for shelter before sundown. If we don't find anything, we meet back here with as much wood as possible to make a shelter." Celeste instructed.

The others looked impressed at her well-known survival skills.

"How exactly do you know all this?" Frank asked her.

Celeste stiffened at the question but quickly relaxed. "Let's just say I've been on my own a lot to know how to survive." She said.

Everyone nodded, not questioning her again. Hazel looked pained, as if she knew what Celeste meant, but the others just looked away, hoping not to catch a second glance.

They all knew that there was something mysterious about Celeste. Everything that has been happening to them so far, and she just pops out of nowhere. Who was she and why did she know everything about them?

Percy shook the thought away. Celeste was nice enough. He wasn't going to blame her for everything that had happened on their voyage so far.

Besides, she looked about as confused as Percy did.

She couldn't of caused this.

Anyways, before Percy could ease his way into the conversation, Frank, Hazel, and Leo made their way west while Celeste started walking east.

She had barely made it a few steps before she turned to Percy. "Aren't you coming?" She asked.

Percy blinked and walked after her.

"Yeah. Sorry." He said.

The worry lines around Celeste's eyes increased but she simply gave him a wary smile.

"Come on Seaweed Brain, let's get going." She said.

Annabeth's nickname for him being spoken by someone else stung Percy's heart. He imagined Annabeth beside him instead of Celeste.

If Celeste had gone missing, would Percy be just as worried as he was about Annabeth?

He sighed and continued walking. Both of them were silent the whole way.

"This is going to be a long day" Percy thought.

And he was right.