Chapter 5

"Ow!" I cried out for the millionth time I burned myself.

I shook my hand and shot daggers at the egg that was frying in the skillet. I had the stove set to medium, so the egg could cook faster and it only resulted in a burnt finger. My finger was more cooked than the egg itself.

"Here, I'll take care of the eggs," Nia said taking the skillet away from me. "Grab the wood and sticks by the door, and help Angel build a fire."

"Thanks," I said patting her shoulder.

Angel picked up half of the pile of wood, sticks, and twigs while I grabbed the rest. We dropped the stuff in front of the couch and went near the fireplace. It looked like it hadn't been touched in a while. Angel kneeled and started to try to make a fire, while I snuck over to the front door to check the knob. The top lock had a key slot that was there to unlock the door. It was locked unless we could find a key.

Darn it! I walked back to Angel in defeat and kneeled beside her.

"The front door's locked," I said lowering my voice.

Angel made a noise and kept her focus on trying to start a fire. I leaned forward a bit towards the fireplace and blew on it softly. After a couple of failed attempts, I was starting to feel light-headed. A tiny spark flew and I blew a little harder. Smoke started to rise and we lifted our hands in victory.

"Yes!" I shouted while laughing and crawling as fast as I could to throw some of the wood into the fire we started.

It was easy to navigate around the living room since it only had two couches arranged in an L-shape in the corner behind us and the fireplace with a small, black flatscreen tv on top of it.

The room was dimly lit and it had no windows in sight. The fire that was beginning to grow shed little light in the room. It only illuminated our faces for now.

After a couple of minutes of feeding the fire until the fire was a big enough to cook something over it, Angel placed her pan on the rack above the fire and her three eggs in the pan.

I tried to hide the incredious look that was creeping on my face. I couldn't believe she caught three eggs without being attacked. My head still ached from the attack. Thankfully, I had enough hair to cover the bald spots. I gazed into the fire instead into the back of Angel's head, then stood up.

"I'll be right back," I said looking around the room.

I didn't wait for her reply as I went to explore the house. The dining room was straight across from the kitchen. It only held a round table and four chairs. I continued straight past the stairs and stopped in the middle of the hall. There were three doors two on the right and one on the left. I didn't know which one to enter, so I turned around.

I walked up the stairs quietly letting my hand glide up the railing. There was another hall that led to the front of the house that I didn't notice before. My jaw fell to the floor at what I witnessed.

The entire room was barren like it was a new unfurnished house being sold. It was perfectly pristine and clean as could be that I smelt a faint scent of bleach. I was too shocked at the sight that I was too afraid to walk on such a clean floor of a clean room. I was too afraid to see what was behind the two doors on my left because I was terrified that I would dirty this purified room. My unpurified feet stayed planted where they were and I stood there still gazing at the room like an idiot.

I turned on my heels and quickly raced down the stairs. What was the purpose of that room? Why was it empty? Did he use that area to murder the other player? No. He couldn't have. Tiny beads of sweat started to slide down my face as my hands began to shake. This couldn't be happening. This wasn't real, this is not possible.