Chapter 11

I let the other two go downstairs before I did. I needed a couple seconds to myself before I went down to see Durst. After the door closed gently behind them, I didn't notice my hands were wet. My hands were sweating and they were shaking a little bit. Shaking my head, I scoffed at myself. I didn't realize I was this nervous to see Durst again.

Quickly, I entered the bathroom and washed my hands. I lightly splashed my face with some of the water before shaking them as dry as they could get. Rubbing them against my pants, I turned the lights off and started heading towards the kitchen. I froze with my hand on the doorknob of the bedroom. I took a deep breath. You're only allowing him to have this power over you, I thought. You're only letting him win.

I shook my head once more and opened the door. I can play this game and I will play this game my way. I skipped down the stairs hiding the small smile that tried to show on my face. I joined the other two in the same line we were in before with Durst in front of us. Today, he was wearing a white shirt with dark blue jeans. He looked delicious. If he got wet, you would probably see his abs through his shirt. Maybe ev-

Stop! I commanded my thoughts to come to a halt. I was not attractive to him and I could not get distracted from the mission. I rubbed my hands against the sides of my pants and held them together behind my back to preoccupy me with something other than the treacherous thoughts in my head.

"So you can know how much time you have, so I won't have to come and get you," He paused while walking up in front of us. "You will each get a watch with a secondhand. This will only be worn for your breakfast gathering."

He handed us each small, white circular watches that were very simple. It had no cute design or anything added to make it shine like a Rolex. It was a basic watch made and designed only to do it's duty, which was to tell the time.

I put my watch on immediately on my left wrist once he gave it to me. I checked the time and it was exactly a minute until 8 a.m.

"Y'all will have exactly ten minutes to get whatever you need for breakfast. This time there's no list and don't expect one after this," He locked his eyes on me and I froze in place, but stared right back. "Don't make me have to come get you after that."

Angel and Nia nodded vigorously while I still squeezed my hands behind my back. This was it. It's about to happen.

Exactly at 8 am, he stepped aside and we all rushed towards the door. Angel was out first, than me, and last Nia.

"Make sure to time yourselves," I whispered as loud as I could after Durst closed the door.

I didn't know if he lingered at the door or not. Nia gave me a thumbs up that she heard me and Angel just kept running. The sky had a few clouds and the sun was hot. It was unbearable to be out here, but at least the trees provided a good amount of shade. I've been running for so long that I forgot I had the watch on. I looked down to check the time and it was only three minutes past 8. Good. I can continue running for two more minutes.

My legs were screaming for me to stop and rest but that encouraged me to run faster. I couldn't give up. I had to keep running for the others and for myself. This was worst than the hike yesterday. My feet were in more pain since I was still sore. Finally at 8:05, I came to a stop and held my knees panting. Drool escaped my lips and I wiped it away with the back of my hand.

I looked around where I was and found a small clearing to place the paper in. I broke a small branch from a tree before kneeling down. Quickly,
I dug a small hole with my hands as best as I could. It took me a couple of times to place the stick in, but I managed to do it and I made sure a tiny piece of the paper was out.