A Beautiful New Friendship

Kenma's POV

I started walking down the street with Y/N. I glanced at her, and then quickly turned away. She was so beautiful... and she liked cats too. However, it wasn't her beauty that had made me want to help her...it was the sad expression on her face. I knew that expression well, and that was why I had offered to help her. I'm usually really antisocial, and I'm very introverted, but she was an exception.

"Kenma..." I turned towards Y/N, startled. She blushed. "Thank you for...rescuing me. Half the people in this world wouldn't have offered to help me, but I'm so glad you did. I felt so alone."

Alone. That was a feeling I often felt. "Being alone can really hurt you..." I say absentmindedly. She looked at me in surprise.

"Hmm? What do you mean by that, Kenma?" I looked away.

"It's a long story." I murmured. She smiled, and moved closer to me underneath the umbrella.

"I'm a great listener." I looked at her.

"I've never told anyone this story before." She laughed melodiously, and I couldn't help but feel warm inside. She was truly one of a kind.

"You're shy, aren't you?" Taken aback, I nodded hesitantly. "Then I'll tell you my story. I've never told anyone about it before either, so listen closely." She closed her eyes for a moment, and then opened them. I noticed that they were wet with tears.

"Ever since kindergarten, I've been popular. I'm smart. I'm funny. I'm kind...but that's just my image. Inside, I feel almost empty. I don't see the meaning of life. Is the point of life to be the best? I didn't think so. Every night, I would lay awake, thinking-why am I here? That's why I try to always think positive...I'm hoping that it will one day reveal the meaning of life to me." I stared at her in awe. I would have never guessed that this cheerful girl was secretly depressed.

"Anyway...three days ago, my mother found at that my dad had been cheating on her with another woman. She was furious. I was scared. At that time, I wanted to commit suicide...at that time, I thought that life's meaning was simply to cause pain." She breathed in, and then chuckled. "However, before I could do that, my mom sent me to live here. In Japan. She owns a house here, and I'm fluent in Japanese...so it seemed like the best option." Then she stared at me, eyes bright.

I blushed. "W-what's wrong?" She laughed beautifully, once more.

"Oh...nothing. It's just that...I'm starting to realize just how important you are to me." I looked down, stunned.

"Me? I-I'm not important in anyway." All of a sudden, out of nowhere, she grasped my hand. I looked at her, my cheeks fire engine red.

"Just let me finish. Anyway, when I got here, I immediately got lost. I felt discouraged. I became even more frustrated when it started raining. After a while, I just...broke down in tears. I wanted to die, I felt so alone." Then she squeezed my hand lightly. "That's when I met you, Kenma. When you offered to help me find my way home, I just felt so incredibly blessed. You showed me that there was still good in the world. Thanks to your kindness, I'm going to keep trying to find the meaning of life."

I stopped walking and just stared at her. She blushed, and let go of my hand. "I-I'm sorry! I know we've just met, but those are my true feelings." I blinked.

"Oh no, I'm not mad...I'm happy. Er...I mean, I've never really made an impact on anyone's life before." I fell silent. She laughed. "Why don't you tell me your story now?"

Your POV

I was strangely attracted to this Kenma guy. I somehow felt a strong connection to him, probably because he saved me, but I also felt like there was more to him. I really, really wanted to get to know him more.