Unspoken Competition

"Kenma, can you set on the left side of the net?" Coach Nekomata asked me. I nodded. "Good! Y/N, would you like to set as well?" Coach Nekomata asked Y/N. She blushed and nodded.

"I'd love to! I hope my setting is up to par." She took her place at the setter's position on one side of the net and smiled at me. I gave her thumbs up for encouragement. Coach Nekomata started telling the spikers which side of the net to go to. Immediately, I crossed my fingers. PLEASE DON'T LET Y/N HAVE TO SPIKE KUROO.

Of course, Kuroo was assigned to Y/N's side of the net. I sighed. I turned to face Kuroo and shot him a murderous look. It wasn't as good as Y/N's evil one hit KO glare, but it would do. Kuroo clenched his teeth and walked stiffly to the end of the hitting line on Y/N's side of the net. I silently prayed that Kuroo wouldn't bully Y/N anymore before setting to the spikers in my hitting line. Set, hit. Set, hit. It was as easy as breathing.

After a few 'set hits', I glanced over to Y/N's side of the net to check on her and Kuroo. Y/N was setting well, and looked like she was having a good time. However, Kuroo was hitting next. I watched Kuroo and Y/N while setting to the hitters on my side of the net at the same time, and prayed that Kuroo wouldn't give Y/N a hard time.

Why must the universe always reject my pleas?

"Hey, Y/N! I want you to wait one second before setting to me. Ok? Good!" Kuroo told Y/N before doing his hitting approach.

"Wait, what?" Y/N asked frantically. It was too late. Kuroo took off and did his hitting approach. Confused, Y/N set the ball to him immediately instead of waiting one second before setting. Kuroo jumped up right when the ball had reached It's highest point, and the volleyball hit him on the head.

"BAKA! (idiot) Didn't you hear my instructions?! You were supposed to wait one second! For God's sake, Kenma got it right the first time we tried it!" Kuroo roared at Y/N. Y/N froze, shocked. Then she began to speak.

"K-Kuroo, I didn't hear your instructions-"

"That's Kuroo SENPAI to you, little girl! I feel bad for those Karasuno freaks that have to deal with a dim witted setter like you. Take a class in remedial setting!" Y/N opened her mouth, but didn't speak. Tears began to well up in her eyes, but she blinked them away.

"I'm a good setter..." She mumbled softly. Kuroo chuckled, amused.

"Says you and who else?" I stopped setting and walked over to Y/N.

"Me." I told Kuroo, grabbing Y/N's hand. Y/N looked at me in surprise, blushing slightly. Kuroo looked like he was about to throw up.

"K-Kenma, It's okay. Kuroo's just a jerk....I can handle him." Y/N told me, mustering up a smile. Kuroo gawked at Y/N.

"Jerk?? ME?!?!" He asked in disbelief. Yaku and Inuoka sighed in unison.

"Yeah." They told him, coming to stand beside Y/N and I. One by one, the rest of my teammates came to stand beside Y/N. Kuroo was speechless.

"Oh, so now I'm the bad guy?" He asked me, dumbfounded. I nodded.

"Kuroo, stop being rude to Y/N. She's my friend, so please be nice to her." Kuroo stared at me for a moment, studying me carefully. I nodded for emphasis. Kuroo just sneered.

"Kenma, stop letting Y/N have whatever she wants. It's disgusting, it's like she's your kid and you're spoiling her rotten. I mean, has the girl never been criticized before? It's not my fault her setting sucks."

"Kuroo It's not like that-" I began, but Kuroo put his hand up to silence me.

"You know what I think? I bet her life is perfect. Must have the devil's own luck. She probably has two perfect parents who get her whatever she wants, a perfect life where everything goes her way, and perfect friends-that's where you come in, Kenma, who make sure nothing gets in the way of her happiness. DENY IT, Y/N! Or can I call you Mrs. Perfect?" Kuroo asked Y/N, his voice oozing with disgust. I was lost for words. I didn't know what to say! If only Kuroo knew what Y/N had been through before coming here...he'd understand. I was about to say something, but I didn't need to. Y/N was WAY ahead of me.

"YOU BASTARD! You have no idea what my life is like. Are you aware of the life I live?!" Y/N shrieked at Kuroo. Her face was a bright red, but she wasn't crying. Phew.

Kuroo shrugged casually. "Well, I can guess." Y/N's hands shook in fury.

"Do you know why I'm stuck in Japan?!" She asked Kuroo, eyes cast down to the floor.

Kuroo smiled. "Your already perfect life isn't good enough for you?" I could tell that Y/N was fed up when she slapped Kuroo on the face (hard) and started crying. Oh no.

"MY DAD IS FREAKING ABUSIVE, YOU IDIOT!!! MY MOM SENT ME HERE TO KEEP ME SAFE!!!" Kuroo's jaw dropped.

"W-what? Kenma that's not true r-"

"Don't you dare drag Kenma into this! He's my best friend here in Japan, and he makes up for not having my other friends and family h-h-here..." Y/N stopped talking. Tears were flowing down her cheeks. She looked up at a shocked Kuroo.

"I-I'm sorry. I've ruined your practice. I shouldn't have come....I shouldn't have moved to Japan expecting things to be easy." She wiped her eyes. "I-I'll go back to America...." Y/N walked over to the court sidelines and picked up her backpack. She turned to look at me, and grinned through tears.

"Thanks, Kenma. I will never forget you. I'm sorry for barging into your life." That was the last thing she said to me before walking out of the gym with a piece of my heart.

GUYS! Just so you know, the story isn't over. If you love Kuroo, I'm sorry, he's not this evil I know, but isn't it cute how he's jealous that Y/N is stealing Kenma away from him? Comment if you ship Kuroken ^>-<^