Chapter Two

The next morning I woke up early, so I stayed in bed a bit, until I couldn’t take it anymore, so I turned my MP3 player back on and scrolled through my song list looking for a slow song until I decided on Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri.  I picked my computer up off the floor and logged on.  I decided to check Facebook to see if anyone replied to my post last night.

I smiled when I saw Carly Fisher was the only comment.

Sure, I need a new outfit for Kate’s party!

Carly wasn’t a close friend, but she wasn’t an annoying popular girl.  I clicked on the white space to comment.

Great, that’s what I need, too.

I went to fashion designer to check the time I had left on the dress I designed yesterday morning and was surprised to see that it was ready to be taken off the manequin.  I clicked on it and decided to design a new one.

I clicked on the job icon and read a job I had to do.  It would take 24 hours to make, so I continued and designed a cute straight skirted dress with one shoulder in a dark purple color.  It was sexy!

“I ought to find a dress like that.  It would look amazing on me, especially with my pale white skin.”

Just then the song “100 years” by five for fighting came on.  I loved that song, but I didn’t really need to think about… no, not gunna think about it.  I switched it off and smiled at the next song, which was “A drop in the ocean” by Ron Pope and the district.

“A drop in the ocean,

A change in the weather,

I was praying that you and me

Might end up together.”

I have loved that song since it came on at the end of an episode of the Vampire Diaries once.

When I looked back at my screen, I had a chat message from Carly.

Carly Fisher: hey!  So we going to the mall?

Me: Yup!  ill pick you up at noon?

Carly Fisher: um… would it be okay if we head out sooner?  I don’t want to be stuck her much longer.

I knew why that was.  It was no secret that Carly didn’t have the lifestyle Katie or I had.  Her dad left when he found out her mom was pregnant with her, and her mom’s been drinking since.  If it weren’t for Carly’s job at Olive Garden, they wouldn’t have their small apartment.  She was really smart, and had a full scholarship to the university of Virginia, but she wasn’t an anti social nerd r anything (not that there’s anything wrong with nerds).

Me: hey, why dont you just come over right now?  We can hang here, watch TV for a while until the mall opens.

I had to wait a minute before she replied

Be there in five minutes.

Then she was offline.

I felt kinda bad for Carly.  Carly never got hit at home or anything, but she has come to school with bruises scattered on her body from running to her room when she saw her mom drunk.  Carly was a little timid, but I liked talking to her anyway.

She had a home life that was the exact opposite of mine.  I had two happily married parents who worked a lot.  My dad was a Lawyer, which made us enough money to get by, but Mom still had her job as a nurse at the ER.