Chapter Twenty-two

Chapter 22

 “Well, thank you for a great night.”  It was ten O’clock and we were standing at my door, saying goodbye.

“No, thank you.  That was the best date I’ve had in a long time.”

“Well, why not do it again sometime?  I’ll text you.”

“Well, I’d feel better about that if you had my number.”

“Oh, right.  Blonde.”  I pointed to my hair and laughed.  I handed him my phone and he put in his number, taking a picture of himself.  He handed it back to me and I quickly texted him, hey.

He smiled and took a picture of me, saving it in his phone.  I turned to open the door, but remembered something all of a sudden.  Kyle’s message insisted there were sparks when we kissed, because we were meant for each other.  I wanted to prove him wrong.

“Caleb, before you go,” I stood up on my toes and kissed him.  He stood there motionless for a second before I pulled away.

Then I turned around and walked through the door, closing it behind me quickly.

I stood against the door, leaning against it, just like in the movies, and I slid against it and sat down.  The room was dark, meaning Gina was probably asleep.  I got out my phone and used that light to get dressed, hanging up my dress in the closet, then I texted Katie.   Kissed him!

I then turned off my phone and went to bed, not bothering to take off my makeup or brush out my hair.  I know, bad for my skin, but I didn’t care.

I tossed and turned for hours, not able to get the kiss out of my mind.  After a while I just put in my earbuds and turned on my Ipod, and sat up in bed thinking.  I debated whether or not I wanted to text someone to distract me.

My first kiss.  Not my first, but my first sober kiss.  I was really crazy about this whole thing.  Take that Kyle!  Kissing isn’t about sparks!

I had felt a few sparks, I thought.  It was better than my kisses with Cody or James.  And he was human!  Lately I had begun to wonder if there was anyone in the world who was human, but no way was Caleb a wolf or leech or warlock or some snotty rich kid or whatever.  He was normal.

I woke up in a weird position.  My earbuds were wrapped around my neck and I was sort of sitting up, but my neck was trying to bend to let my head fall to the pillow.  Light was streaming in through the window behind me.  I looked at the clock.

“Crap!  Gina, get up!”

It was nine o’clock and work was supposed to start early today.  I had asked Mr. Goldman the day before to give Gina a job, and he agreed to give her a trial run.  If she does well this week then she’d get a permanent position.

“Gina! Come on!”  I walked over to her bed to try and wake her up, but realized she was already gone.  I turned on my phone to call Katie and tell her I’d be there in ten minutes, but I had a text from her, already.

Hey, take ur time.  dad says hell let u b l8 2day.

I sighed in relief.  I grabbed my towel and toiletry bag and ran to the shower room at the end of the hall.  There wasn’t any wait, so it took me five minutes.  I got dressed quickly before leaving my little curtain of privacy.

I hurried back to my room and got dressed quickly in my uniform polo shirt.  I looked in the mirror before I left and I looked horrible.  My eyes were puffy and red and my cheeks were pale.  I hurried and put on a little makeup to hide it and then I brushed out my hair better.