Chapter Twenty-five

Chapter 25

When we got to the orientation in the School’s “Community” room, an old lady who looked about sixty, rushed over to us.  “My, you young ladies look very nice.  You need to go over to that table over there,” she pointed to a long table with many other faculty members, “and sign in.  They will tell you where to sit.”

Katie and I looked at each other.  Assigned seats?  This was either really fancy, or one of those things where the school tries to do something cool, and just disappoints everyone.  We walked over to the tables, and signed papers on clipboards, and put on some cheap nametags that said “Hello my name is…” after writing our names in black sharpie.  As soon as we were signed in, the faculty member in front of us looked at our names, then at a clipboard in her hands.

“Okay, let’s see.  Elaine Butler, you and your roommate, Gina, will be over there at table six.  Kathryn Goldman, you and your roommate, Riley, will be at table eleven.  Go sit, and have a nice evening.”  She smiled perkily as we turned and started looking for our correct tables.  The tables were all round with white table cloths and twelve seats at each.  They had signs as the centerpiece at each, and when Gina and I found our table, there were already four people sitting there, two guys and two girls.

We sat down very timidly right next to each other, with a bit of a distance between our tablemates.  “Hi.”

“Hi.  I’m Rob,” one of the guys said.  (The nerdy looking one)

Gina looked really shy, more than usual.  “Well, that’s what your nametag says, so it must be true.”

The other guy smiled.  “Must be.  I’m his roommate,” he then pointed to his tag, “Ian.”

One of the girls joined into the introductions.  “Hi, I’m Anna, and this is my roommate Tatiana.”

Anna was an average looking girl, with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes, and her face was covered in freckles.  Tatiana was a really pretty African American girl with a heart shaped face and ringlets in her hair.  The contrast between the two was so huge, it was almost funny.  Tatiana seemed pretty quiet like Gina, but over the course of the night, I’d discover that she really wasn’t at all.

“Lainey, and Gina.”

People came over to sit with us, and we continued introducing ourselves.  From what I could guess, they were having pairs of roommates sitting together, one from each dorm building.

After a few minutes I started to looked around, but when I turned my head around, I just got a view of a man standing in front of me.  At first I was going to ask him to move over, but then I realized who this guy was.  I stood up right away and gave him a hug.

“Where’d they put you?”

Caleb winced.  “On the other side of the room.  Table forty-two.”

I smiled.  “Well, at least you got a number that’s the answer to everything.”

“Well, maybe not.”  He kissed me on the cheek and went to take his seat, because right then, a middle aged man who looked to be forty stood up on the stage to speak.

“Hello, I’m Dean Harris, and I would like to take this time to thank you all for being here.  Not just tonight, but for this semester.  We appreciate all of you excellent students for choosing to come get your higher education here at Maryland University.  I’d like to quickly thank the faculty and professors, by having them come up here to quickly speak to you all for about a minute about their courses.”

And that’s exactly what happened for the next hour.  After all of that, people walked out, bringing Spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread.  It was really delicious and flavored amazingly.  However, I would have preferred non healthy pasta.