Chapter Twenty-eight

Chapter 28

Carly met me at the front porch and gestured me in.  “You came at a good time.  My mom’s at a bar, so we have the house to ourselves.  What did you need?”

“Um, I just needed someone to talk to, I guess, but you might have some answers for me.”

“Answers about what?”  I sat down at her kitchen table and she walked over to the pantry.  “You hungry?”

I was about to say yes, since I hadn’t eaten all day, because I was so nervous about seeing Kyle, but then I replayed the events that just happened in my mind, and decided I lost my appetite.  “No thanks.”  She got back to making some sort of food in the microwave, and I started telling the story.

“Tonight has been really crazy.”  She looked at me with interest clear in her eyes.  “Well, it all started last night.  I had this really crazy dream, and it had Kyle in it.  I told you about Kyle, right?

She nodded.  “The werewolf, right?”

“Yeah, so for some reason, at two in the morning, I sent him a message telling him to meet me at the park a few blocks over.  And so he did and he said it was him dream, not mine, and for some reason, I saw it.  And so I was getting up to leave, and he stopped me and kissed me, and so I told him I had a boyfriend, and he went insane, so I left.”

She dropped her glass of water just then and it shattered all over the floor.  “A werewolf lost control so close, and you didn’t think to tell me that first?”

“I didn’t think it was that important.”

“Well you thought wrong.  We have to get out of here, now!  Your car.  Let’s run.”

“Why?”

“If a werewolf loses control because of something that happens with his mate, there’s no telling what he’ll do.  But I don’t want to be here to find out.”

She was pulling me out the door, and we were almost to the car when I realized, “wait!  What about your neighbors?”

“They’ll be fine, don’t worry!  He’ll be drawn towards you, so the best thing you could do for them is get away from here, and not lead him to them.”

I got in the driver’s seat of my car and she got in shotgun, and I pulled out of the driveway.

“So about my dream, you have any idea why Kyle and I would be having the same dreams?”

She shook her head.  “You guys were never close enough to… you know… ‘do the nasty,’ right?”

“Right.”

“Well, unless some witch has a problem with you, and wants to get under your skin, then I don’t know.”

“Well you’re the only witch I know, right, and you don’t have a problem with me.”  That came out as more of a question, and so I saw her shake her head in the corner of my eye.  “Well that’s a relief.”

“Well, I don’t know, then.  I’d say maybe it was a coincident, but dreams aren’t coincidental things.”

“Well, then.  What now?”

I drove for an hour or so, turning where Carly told me to.  When I asked her where we were going, she simply said, “You’ll see.”  As I drove, I continued asking her questions about the dream.