Chapter Six

I spent the next few hours with Jessica.  We baked chocolate chip cookies for a tea party, and Jessica towed me up the stairs to her room.

It was the little girl stereotypical room, with pink walls, a bed with beauty and the beast covers and a pink canopy.  She had a whole wall covered in stuffed animals of all sorts, from dogs and cats to a koala bear and a snake.  The doors were all a light purple and the switch plate covers, too.

We sat down at a small round table in the middle of the room with a plate of our cookies, and the tea I had made out of apple juice.  I taught her how to talk like a fancy stuck up snob, and the whole tea party we did.

I might sound a little crazy, considering that I’ve been kidnapped by a bunch of psycho werewolves, and am playing tea party with one of their daughters, but I’ve always had a sweet spot for adorable little kids.  I love playing with them, making them smile, and just watching them.  Before I worked at the store, I made all my money through babysitting neighborhood kids.

When I was growing up, I had all these dreams of growing up and going to college.  I always thought I would meet a nice there and get married, just like my parents.  I of course, wanted a lot of kids, and a husband who would kiss me every night when he got home from work.  Of course I gave up that dream when Cody-

“Would you like more tea?”  I smiled when I noticed Jessica holding up her tea pot, and I raised my tea cup.

“That would be fabulous, Darling.”

I got to study her face for the first time just then.  She had dark hair in pigtail braids, and a slightly tanned complexion, probably from spending so much time outside.  Her eyes were green, though, and I frowned when I realized that they were the same eyes as Kyle’s.

What a poor little girl, having to grow up with such a crazy family.

After our tea was gone, and we had gobbled all our cookies, her mom came in and was a bit shocked to see me sitting at Jessica’s tea table.  She pulled herself together and came in closer to us.  “I see you’ve met Jessica, Elaine.”

Jessica smiled and told her all about our afternoon together.  When she was done, Mrs. Wolf looked at her watch and said, “You know what time it is, Jessica?  It’s four o’clock.  Time for your nap.”

Jessica frowned.  “But I want to play with Elaine!”

“Well, maybe if you’ll go get in your bed right now, Elaine will read you a book.  Would you be okay with that?”

She sighed and ran to her bed.  “I guess.”  Mrs. Wolf left and so I asked Jessica what book she wanted me to read.  Her face brightened as she yelled, “Cinderella!”

I found the book on the bookshelf and went to sit on the side of the bed.  “Do you like Cinderella?”

“Yeah.”

I smiled and opened the book to the first page.  “Once upon a time, there was a young, beautiful girl, named Cinderella…”  I glanced at her every once in a while, and by the time the book was over, her eyes were closed, so I whispered the last sentence.  “And they lived happily ever after.”

I set the book down gently and tiptoed out of the room, thinking she was asleep.  When I opened the door, Jessica whispered to me, “Elaine, are you and Kyle gonna get married like Cinderella and the prince?”

I was a little shocked at that.  I turned around to see her eyes still closed, but she was waiting for an answer.  But how could I tell her I hate her brother, and there would be no chance of us ever getting married.