Chapter Sixteen

“Right!  You’re a witch, Kyle’s a werewolf, and Luke’s a vampire!  What does that make me?  A fairy?  Oh, and let me guess, Katie’s a troll in disguise.”             I was getting mad.  “Either you’re trying to play some sort of sick joke, or the entire world of magical beings or whatever is out to get me.  At this point, I could believe either!”

                “Lainey, calm down!  Stop yelling at me!”

                I hadn’t realized I was shouting, but I guess I was.  “Look, Carly, I’m not in the best condition right now.  A werewolf just killed my brother, and I got drunk, and now I have to go talk to Katie and tell her that her boyfriend’s dead, so please, tell me you’re joking.”

                “I’m sorry.  Look, maybe I should explain.”

                “I think maybe that would be a good idea.”  I continued driving, looking over at her, waiting for her to talk.

She took a deep breath.  “Pull over.”

I did as she said and we sat in my car for a minute before I opened my mouth.  “Isn’t it just funny how my whole world turned upside down in just a week?  Werewolves, vampires, witches, is all that magic stuff actually real?  Is there such a thing as a fairy tale, or is sleeping beauty real, too?”

“Lainey, take a deep breath and calm down.  Okay, let’s see, where to begin?”

“Um, how about you tell me what you mean by the whole, ‘you’re a witch’ comment?  Since when?”

“Uh, I guess always.  Okay, let me explain this.  Only certain people in the world have the potential to become a witch.  Those people are called ‘Destinatis.’  That’s Latin for destined.  Only a few of those people even know about what they are.  But they are sometimes taught by family.  But the others, never know.  They are called “perierunt,” the lost.

“My family are all perierunts.  But when I was fifteen,” she swallowed hard and changed her tone.  “Remember what happened with the earthquake?”

I nodded.  When we were in ninth grade, some idiots were being jerks about Carly’s family, calling her a drunk, too.  Suddenly, this bookshelf fell on one of the guys, and he had to go to the emergency room.  We all shook it off later because we heard there was an earthquake, really small.  No one felt it, but it was on the news.

“What about it?”

“Um, I did that.  Not the earthquake, but the bookshelf.  It was really weird.  At first, I thought it was the earthquake, too, but it just didn’t seem right.  After a while, I had mostly forgotten about it.  But then, my great aunt came into town for a few weeks right after that.

“She was a full witch, and she sensed there was something going on with the accident.  She mentioned it one day, and I froze up and told her what was going on with the guys.  I said I thought it was crazy that I thought it was me, but she told me it wasn’t.  Long story short, she filled me in on the whole magic thing, and then she taught me how to do magic and spells and stuff. Now, I’m a full witch like her.”

“Is it hard?  To cast spells and stuff?”

She smiled weakly.  “I guess.  It’s simple, but it really drains my energy.  But the spells are just prayers to these deities.  Sometimes you have to have certain things, or more than one person in a circle.  It depends on the intensity of your desire I guess.  I can’t do a lot of spells at a time.”

“Can you like, do small things like float pencils, or light a stick on fire?”

She stared at me intensely a minute and then started laughing.  “What?”