Chapter Twelve.

A/N: 

Would you like shorter more often chapters (What i'm doing now) or longer but less often chapters?

-Megan Marie xoxo

***

As usual it takes Shay over an hour to get dressed and ready to go out.

My parents finally shut up with my mum storming out the house, slamming the front door behind her.

Throwing on my dark red jumper, skater skirt and black leggings followed by a pair of dock martins, I brush my blonde hair, mentally saying goodbye to the me who was and still is afraid and apply some mascara and lip balm.

Shays feet tapping on the stairs as she runs down is followed by my name being called. I join her by the front door, she grabs two fresh, green apples off the side and chucks one to me. Catching it, I grab the house keys and hop into her car.

We put on our favourite Disney songs and sing outrageously to the lyrics. The Lion king songs would have to be some of the best!

Rolling down the windows, I let the fresh October air fill the car and run through my hair, messing it up slightly.

For the first time this week, the sun is shining brightly with not a cloud in sight.

Shay parks the car into an old carpark before we both jump out and head into the shopping centre.

"Before we do anything, we are getting rid of that nasty blonde!" Shay jokes, nudging me.

"Oi! I like the blonde." I nudge back.

Town is filled with people, the clothing shops covered in Halloween posters and fancy costumes ranging from ghosts to cats.

To this day, I do not and probably will never understand people who go as cats for Halloween. Okay, if you go full out with it then it can be a cool costume but these girls who put a pair of cat ears on and prance around wearing a sexy costume will always annoy me. At least put the effort in!

Being a Halloween lover I like it when people go full out.

Shay drags me into a hair salon, before shouting behind the desk, my face flushes red.

"ANGIE! GET OUT HERE!"

A girl, twice the size of me with a slim body and afro hair strides out with a huge smile on her face.

"Shay, it's always a pleasure." Her voice smooth but cheerful.

"This is my sister, Maddie. We want her natural hair colour back. Anything you can do?" Shay asks, motioning to me.

"I can definitely match her roots and create the same colour. Shouldn't be too difficult. Good idea getting rid of that nasty blonde." Her voice still perky, I don't think she realises that the little dig hurts my feelings...

I Liked the blonde.

The tall woman who I'm guessing is Angie leads me to a free leather seat in front of a mirror before making an hour of small talk.

It's the hairdresser small talk, the 'how's your day been' and 'how's school' kind of small talk. Anything to stop the awkward silence.

Having no clue where Shay has gone, I sit staring at the reflection of myself looking like an idiot with foils in my hair. In a few more minutes I will be normal Maddie, not blonde Maddie. I don't think I've been myself for at least five years. I've always tried to look more like my mum.

Finally, Angie washes off the rest of the dye before blow drying and straitening my hair. Surprisingly the wave that I've had for ages is no longer there and I can feel a new wave of confidence.

I'm shocked at how I look.

Refreshing,

Happy,

Myself.

My hair now a silky-smooth chocolate brown that ends just below my chest. The natural colour complimenting my skin tone perfectly.

A gasp is heard from behind as I spin round in the chair. "Well, look at you!" Shay whispers in awe.

"Thank you so much, Angie!" I jump out the seat and embrace her in a tight squeeze. She has done a perfect job.

"Now, let's go and find that dress."

We spend another two hours in town, feeling the sea breeze against our skin. We order some fish and chips to share while sitting on the sea wall people watching. Some people might find it strange but it's fascinating to watch someone and create a whole life story for them.

Picking out the perfect dress was very easy. Walking into the fancy dress shop, it was the first thing my eyes collided with. Shay and I almost cried at its beauty and bought it straight away with a pair of matching heels.

Getting out of her car, we both carry bits of shopping to the door when a small white box catches my eye.

Kneeling, I pick up the small note.

Maddie,

It wouldn't be a fancy-dress party without one of these.

Jessie x