Chapter Twenty two.

The attic door swings up from the ground causing me to flinch; Jessie appears without saying a word.

I have no idea what to say to him, the painting still haunting my thoughts.

Rain begins to tap against the small square window behind to easel however the remaining sunlight still shines through. Jessie must have lost someone, a person very close to his heart. But I don't want to push on the matter, he'll tell me if he feels the need to.

Turning to face him, I can't help but notice the extra curls in his dirty blonde hair, almost like a scruffy dog. Jessie notices the small smile appearing on my face and shoots a questioning look.

"What?"

It takes all my power not to let out a chuckle as he turns his head towards me and a single curl falls out of place.

"Just your hair." I reply, holding myself together. I just want to scruff it up even more.

"I had a shower this morning, makes my hair go puffy. I hate it." He complains before sitting down against the wall, his legs clenched to his chest.

I like it scruffy.

Silence looms over us again, not awkward. Just peaceful.

My eyes glance back at the painting, the colours standing out bright yet dark, happy and sad. Like a story in the form of a picture.

I can feel Jessies eyes locked onto me.

"That's my mum." I furrow my brow, looking across at him. "The woman in the painting."

Realisation kicks in and I feel the gut-wrenching pain of Jessies words pulling tight around my heart, cracking it slightly.

"I'm so sor..."

"You don't need to apologise." He interrupts. "Wasn't your fault." He then pauses. "I'm over it now, she abandoned us over three years ago, don't need her to save me anymore." Now his tone is cold and harsh, the pain clearly clinging on.

If his mum died three years ago, then Lola would have only just been born.

I can't even imagine his pain.

Jessie stands up and walks over to a cupboard door before throwing me a few pillows and blanket. "But hey, got a step mum now. And everything's great."

He then sits back against the wall, this time he closes his eyes. "Everything's just great." He whispers more to himself then to me. A sense of reassurance.

As the night drills on the rain gets heavier and heavier, the wind picks up making it impossible for me to sleep.

Jessie looks so cold, he has now slumped down into a heap on the floor, curled up into a ball. He must be freezing.

What must it feel like to lose the most important person in your life? He was only a child himself. Fourteen years old, heartbroken, living with a strict dad and looking after a new born. How awful.

My heart aches for Jessie. I just want to make everything better, bring his mum back.

But I can't.

I quietly shuffle towards him, wrapping the fluffy blanket he gave me earlier around him.

Brushing his curly locks of hair away from his face and seeing him, so strong yet so weak.

I must do something.

A/N

I am seeing so many comments about how people can relate to Maddie and I'm so happy my book is helping you'll realize that you are not alone. Anxiety is a common demon that get's overlooked but is very hard to fight. I love every single one of my fellow mental health sufferers! And remember you are not alone xox

What do you think of Stay so far? Feel free to leave a mini review in the comments! 

I've had so many of you lovely people vote and comment over the weekend! Thank you so much. 

I'm still dedicating to voters and commenters so if you haven't had a dedication yet, don't worry your time will come!

Lot's of love - Megan Marie! xox