1. High school

D E J A

"We're talking about the same girl, right? You're not some vampire who's replaced my best friend?" Danielle asked sarcastically as I held my book closely to my chest.

"No, I'm not some vampire, although Dracula ain't half bad." I jokingly winked.

"You want to join the Air Force when you gradu-" "Woah, sorry about that." Danielle was interrupted by someone bumping into me in the mildly busy school hallways.

"Hey, Zamperini." I smiled as I faced one of my oldest friends.

"Hey, Sunshine." He smirked before his friends called for him, his hand left my arm before he jogged down the hall.

"Sunshine." Danielle mockingly smiled at me.

"Oh be quiet, you know he gave me that nickname when we were at least twelve." I huffed as we started walking again.

"Yeah, and I also know that he's been smitten with you throughout all of high school." She smirked and I scoffed.

"I think you're mixing reality with fantasy, again, Dani." I smirked at her.

"So, you're not going to his meet later today?" She asked with an all knowing smile.

"Of course I'm going to his meet, I go to all of his meets."

--

"Boy, oh, boy, can that guy fly." The male announcer said as I watched the stopwatch in Louie's older brothers hand, Pete.

"They're calling him the Torrance Tornado." The announcer spoke again as Louie Zamperini won another one of his track meets.

He slowed down and caught his breath as he looked at Pete and I, "He's getting faster." I smiled as I spoke.

"How was that?" Louie asked as he jogged over towards us.

"I don't know how, but you're getting faster." Pete smiled.

Pete and Louie have always been as close as brothers can be, I mean, Pete is Louis idol.

"Hit the showers, runner boy. I'm heading home." Pete said patting his little brothers back.

The California sun was disappearing as night set on us.

"Can I walk you home?" Louie asked as we stood there silently.

"Me? There's like ten girls over there waiting for you to ask them." I chuckled as I glanced behind us in the stands.

"I'm not asking them." He smiled and I smiled widely before nodding.

I watched from a few yards away as he was swarmed when he got his bag.

He soon resurfaced and came over to me, nodding for me to catch up.

"You're going to be an Olympian someday, you know that, right?" I smiled at the handsome Italian boy.

"Yeah, right. And we're not going to end up together." He joked and I rolled my eyes with a smile, he always joked about how we'd end up together-- no particular reason why, we just would.

"I'm serious!" I laughed, "When high school is over, you'll have beaten records and made history." I smiled widely at him.

"Well, then, shall we have a little wager?" He smiled at me, "Of course you would, Louie." I slightly shook my head.

"If I do- as you say, go to the Olympics- then you have to do something for me." He smirked.

"Go on a date with me." "Deal.. And if I lose?" I questioned him.

"Then I'll go on a date with you." His smile was infectious before we shook on it.

---

"Why would I come? You're not going to win." I smirked as I walked down the train platform.

"Sure. I know that. That's all right. Four years' time, next Olympics, that's when I show them." Louie said as he carried his suitcase, he was going to Olympic tryouts.

"Tokyo?" I smiled as we stopped where he had to board the train, "Tokyo." He faced me.

He's always wanted to go to Tokyo, and now he had then chance because that's where the Olympics were being held.

"Then I'll be there, front row, screaming your name." I smiled and he looked up at me, something about how he looked at me.

I looked back at the large crowd behind the barricades at the end of the platform, and his family stood back, because they already said their goodbyes.

I looked back up at him to see his eyes fixated on me.

"You won.. The bet." He said looking down at his shoes.

"That I did." I smirked.

"So, you're going to have to promise me something.." He spoked quietly as we stood close together.

"And what's that?" I looked up at him, my head slightly tilted, he set down his luggage and wrapped his arms around me.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and closed my eyes as I took him in.

"Don't go falling in love with anyone while I'm gone." He whispered in my ear and I smiled before we broke apart.

"Be safe." I spoke quietly as I fixed his tie, he leaned down and slowly kissed my cheek.

I smiled up at him, batting my eyes as he stood up straight with the train whistle blowing.

"I'll see you later, Zamperini." I sighed, letting him slip through my fingers.

"I'll see you soon, Sunshine." He said stepping into the train.

"Louie," I spoke up and he turned, "A moment of pain is worth a lifetime of glory." I spoke loud enough as the train started moving.

"Remember that." I said and he nodded.

I blew him a kiss and he pretended to catch it.

I chuckled before slowly waving, realizing how much I'd miss the flirt.

And yes, I know we flirt, but it's always been a toss up when it comes to if Louie really wants to be with me or not.

A/N so the extremely handsome and talented and adorable Jack O'Connell is obvs Louis Zamperini
(Based off the move UNBROKEN)