17. Turn back time

D E J A

I jumped as the school bell rang, I gained my thoughts as I looked around the room to see it was time for lunch.

I picked up my books as our history teacher told us we had a quiz on Monday, but nobody listened because this weekend was the Winter Dance for the whole high school, even the freshmen were allowed to go, which is what I was.

All the girls batted they're pretty eyes and the boys fell at their feet as I walked down the halls, it seemed like everyone was being asked.

I looked up from the ground to see Louie Zamperini running down the hall.

No one paid much mind to the troubled kid, but I smiled at my old friend.

He stopped for a second, skidding in his tracks.

"Golde, I've gotta make this quick," He spoke out of breath as he stood in front of me, holding my shoulders.

"Will you go to the Winter Dance with me?" He asked, a smile grew on my face.

"Of course I will, Zamperini." I spoke happily, I felt whispers behind me, people already starting to talk.

"Good, good, I'll pick you up at 7, alright?" He asked and I nodded before we heard someone else running down the hall.

We both looked to see a teacher running down the hall, clutching a piece of paper, what it had on it was beyond me.

Louie took off, much faster than the man chasing him.

"Zamperini!" Teacher McGregor shouted as he stopped running to catch his breath.

He took off again, I felt someone pinch my sides and I turned quickly.

"Arthur, hi." I smiled as I held my books close to me.

"Hey, cutie. Was that boy giving you any trouble?" He said gesturing towards Zamperini who ran by seconds earlier.

"You know him, he's always bugging her." Danielle joked as she walked up to me.

A few kids stood around me as I put my books away, "Louie is a good guy. You guys need to give him a chance." I sighed.

"He stole out of your parents store, Deja." Danielle said giving me a blank look before I closed my locker.

"And he apologized and returned the money he took." I said leaning on the lockers. (A/N so Louie paid for the necklace he stole 😍)

"Let's forget about that loser," Arthur said leaning over me, his arm on the lockers behind me.

I glared at Arthur, he was a jock who has the world in his palm-- in high school.

"You won't be calling him that when he goes to the Olympics." I smirked and he scoffed.

"Anyways," He exhaled loudly, "I'll pick you up around 7:30 tomorrow?" He said and I gave him a weird look.

"Is that how you ask me?" I said looking up at him, my eyes slightly squinted.

He gave me a weird look, "So the quarterback and cheer captain aren't going together?" He laughed, like it was a given.