9. Postman Calls

D E J A

I was dozing off in the infirmary when I heard groaning coming from outside the tent, in the middle of the night.

I quickly jumped to my feet to see Louie being brought into the empty Infirmary, and I was the only medic on duty.

The guards helped him to the bed before leaving, I quickly found the problem- his ear.

"What could you have possibly done to deserve this?" I whispered to myself as I put pressure on it.

He groaned, his face scrunched up in pain.

I cleaned it before realizing that part of his ear was actually gone-- not a noticeable amount but I could tell.

"Louie." I sighed as I sat down right by his hips, on the wooden bed, that was used as a gurney.

"You're going to die, if this keeps happening." I warned him as I looked down at the ground.

"I didn't do anything this time, he just came in and told me to stand up before he beat me with his belt." Louie said as he slowly sat up.

"Then what's going to happen to you if you actually do something wrong?" I spoke tearfully as I looked over at him.

"I'm not going to, alright? I follow the rules as best as I can, I'm just trying to keep us alive." He said brushing a loose strand from my braid, out of my face.

"I can't lose you, Louie. I can't." I spoke simply, knowing I'd die without him.

"You're not going to, I'm not going anywhere." He said wiping the tear that streaked my cheek with his thumb.

"Are you okay?" He asked me and I chuckled as I sniffled, "I should be asking you." I said and he lightly smiled, rubbing his thumb along my cheek.

"Are you okay?" I asked and he smiled, "Never been better." He spoke quietly as he leaned closer.

Our lips finally pressed against each other, we finally kissed.

And it was better than my wildest dreams.

As we broke apart, I realized something that I think I've known for a long time.

I was completely in love with him.

--

L O U I E

"You are dead. In America, they say Zamperini dead." A man in a suit spoke as I stood in Watanabe's office.

"They tell your family you died in war. NBC Radio tell America famous Olympic runner Zamperini is dead." He continued as he walked around the office.

I closed my eyes for a second, thinking about how much my family must be hurting.

"You want to tell family you're not dead?" The second man in a suit spoke as I looked over, to see Deja walking across the yard with her infirmary clipboard, she smiled as she greeted everyone like they were all old friends.

"These gentlemen, they are from Radio Tokyo." I focused back on the situation at hand, Watanabe spoke to me.

"We have program go all over world. It is name Postman Calls." One of the men in suits spoke again.