20. Christmas carnival

D E J A

"Merry Christmas!" Some students passed me and wished me a Merry Christmas.

"Oh, you too." I smiled at them before turning back towards my locker and putting my books away.

Christmas was coming up soon and school was about to go on break until New Years is over.

"Hey." Danielle walked over to me, it was the day after the dance but she seemed quiet.

"Are you okay?" I asked looking over at her, "Yeah, yeah, it's just-uh.." She sighed heavily before she looked like she was about to break down.

"Dani? What's wrong?" I asked giving her my full attention as I closed my locker.

The bell rang, so school was officially out as I pulled her into the empty bathroom.

"Hey, hey." I said as she started to hyperventilate.

"Danielle, what's wrong?" I asked seriously as she paced the floors.

"It's Charles-" "Your date from last night?" I asked as I set my backpack on the floor, leaning it against the tile walls.

She nodded as she started crying, "He-he-he raped me." She sobbed before covering her mouth.

"Char-- he.." I couldn't form a sentence before I walked over to her and she fell in my arms, sobbing.

--

"They called it date rape-- there's not very much they can do." I said as I walked on the fair grounds with my mom hooked to my arm.

Danielle's parents have never been around so she's been staying with us and she told my mom, since she was like a mom to her.

"I just can't believe it.. I just want her to be ok." I sighed heavily, my mom nodded in agreement.

"I should be going back to her, soon." I said because I felt bad leaving her alone for long.

But I just had to stop by the fair that the whole town put on.

"No, no. You stay, I'll go home. You've been her caretaker for the past few days. You deserve a break." She said rubbing my back.

"Mom, she's my best friend, I should be with her." I sighed as we stopped walking.

"She is still a person, baby. She's not an injured baby bird that you have to take care of, like when you were small." She said running her hand down my long hair.

"I feel like she is." I pursed my lips.

"Stay here, go say hi to a certain someone, and come home when you're ready, alright?" She said and I lightly smiled, "Thanks, mom." I said and she kissed my forehead before leaving.

I folded my arms over my chest as I looked at the pretty lights strung over me.

I inhaled deeply before I started walking around, looking at all the booths with games, my eyes landed on a handsome dark haired boy.

He walked around with his brother Pete, I looked away quickly because I still didn't know how to feel after seeing him with Maggie.