5. Record-breaking-Louie

D E J A

I winced as I took the bandage off of Phil's head.

It's was day 27 and we've survived off of fish and rainwater for almost a month.

"It's just a scratch." I assured Phil.

"How is it?" He asked as I took it fully off his head.

"Stinks. But that's the bandage, not you." I said tossing the bandaging into the ocean blue, sharks still circling us.

"We beat Rickenbacker's record, four days ago." Phil looked up at me as he played with a string.

"You're keeping count?" I smiled.

"Yeah." He chuckled weakly.

I looked to the skies as we all heard a plane whirring coming closer, we saw it and Louie grabbed the flare gun, ready to flag them down.

He shot it twice as it flew over us, all of us too weak to shout or wave like we did before.

It seemed to have left us behind before it was far away and it looked as if it was turning around.

Phil started shaking with excitement, just the thought of them seeing us gave us all strength.

That was until we heard a terrible noise, all of the sudden we heard this rapid gunfire.

All four of us jumped into the ocean with a few sharks as we saw bullets ripping into the ocean, some of them too close to call.

Once the bullets stopped we all got back into the rafts, knowing the sharks would tear us apart before long.

All of us out of breath and weak, I looked up to see the plane was coming back, again,

"Get out, boys. Get out!" I shouted as I tried to move Mac and Phil, while Louie was beside me, trying to get our friends to safety.

"I can't!" Phil yelled at us before Louie grabbed me and pulled me into the water.

It sounded weird, the muffled bullets.

Louie kept me close to him as we stayed a few feet from the surface.

Once they stopped again we went to the surface to find it eerily quiet.

Both of us were scared out of our wits to check in the rafts to see if our friends somehow, miraculously dodged the dozens of bullets fired at us.

We swam over and got on the raft that they were on, "Mac?" Louie grabbed his friends shoulder.

"Still here, still here." Mac said.

"Phil?" "If the Japs are this bad, we might even win this damn war." Phil said and I let out a sigh of relief while Louie groaned.

Probably in exhaustion and in relief.

Air hissed around us and Louie and I felt in the water, "Shit." He mumbled because we were losing air and very quickly.

"Deja." Louie handed me the small repair bag and I grabbed some corks before handing the bag to Phil.

I plugged most of the holes before I started helping Louie with repairing them.

On our third hole, I had to hold part of the raft up while Louie hung off the side of it.

As we worked our magic, I gasped loudly as a shark launched out of the water, right at Louie.

Mac started beating it with an oar as I made sure Louie was ok.

"Did you see that surprise Mac attack?" Louie smiled, I shook my head because he'd take this as lightly as he is.

"Came down on that thing like a goddamn dive bomber." Louie joked as I rested my hand on the back of Louie's neck.

"Damn sharks are scared shit." Louie continued and I chuckled.

"Saved your skinny ass." Phil joked and Louie laughed.

--

"1937. Baseball MVP." Louie quizzed us as we all laid around, trying to conserve our little energy.

"Kid from Detroit. Gehringer." Phil answered.

"Deja, get in the game." Louie said facing me, my eyes were closed with my body curled up, my breathing shallow and barely audible.

"Deja?" His voice was laced with concern as I felt his hand placed on my arm.

"Just sleeping, Louie. I'm okay." I said as I looked up at him, he sighed in relief, I sat up.

"Mac?" Louie questioned the man who seemed to be in the roughest shape.

"Mac?" He questioned louder.

"Still here." Mac breathed.

"What are you gonna make for breakfast, Zamp?" Mac asked weakly, "It's your call." Louie assured him.

"Your mothers gnocchi." Mac smiled, "Gnocchi for breakfast? Why not?" Louie looked over at Mac.

Louie winced as he moved, he laid his on me, on my stomach.

It was exactly how girls lay on guys, just the other way around.

"Am I gonna die?" Mac asked as Louie played with my hand in his.

Louie looked up at me before looking over at Mac, "Maybe, Mac." He said, unsure of how to answer.

"You think tonight?" Mac asked, "Maybe." Louie spoke softly.

"Yes, sir. I think tonight." Mac spoke above a whisper.

I seemed to lose my thoughts as Louie talked about how to make some Italian dish.

By the next morning, Mac was no longer breathing.

We tied his hands together and then his feet, before Phil and Louie set him to sea.

His body floated for a second before it went under, his deflated lungs filling up with water.

--

45th day.

I laid beside Louie, my face red and my skin tanned.

"Deja? Phil?" Louie whispered.

Both of us humming, too weak to speak.

"I've got good news, and bad news." Louie said as a shadow covered our faded and beaten rafts.

I opened my eyes to see a ship above us, with soldiers that had guns pointing at us, and the their flag flew high in the wind.

The Japanese.