18. Old friends, new friends

D E J A

I fixed my hair as I got ready for the day, I went downstairs to find my family happy and excited to see me, like they have been for the last week since I've been home.

"Morning." I flashed a smile before my little brothers each kissed my cheeks before bolting to school, Dorothy hugged me before chasing after them.

"Oh Deja, in glad you're up! You have a guest sitting out on the back deck." My mother spoke happily.

I gave her a curious look before I thanked her and walked to the back deck, all the time I wondered who was waiting for me.

I opened the door and saw familiar long red hair, I gasped and she turned around, she still looked the same as she did in high school.

"Dani?" I almost started crying instantly at the sight of my best friend standing there with a small round belly.

(A/N I picture Danielle as Holland Roden because she's just 😍😍😍)

"Deja Thoris." Her smile was adoring as she walked over to my, hugging my shoulders lightly, so we didn't hurt her baby.

As he broke apart she held my shoulders, smiling at me.

"I'm so glad you're home- for good." She said with tears falling already.

"You-- Dani, you're pregnant?" I said before covering my mouth, trying to contain my sobs of happiness.

She nodded happily, "Seven months with my baby boy." She rubbed the fabric over her belly.

"So, you're married?" I spoke all giddy because the last time I saw her she was single and moving to Brooklyn to pursue her dream as a writer.

She nodded, showing me her rings on her ring finger.

"His name is Matthew, I met him in Brooklyn. We got married the day before we heard Louie on the radio, telling us that you were alive, which no one could believe.. I cried so much that day." She lightly sobbed.

"You should have seen it, Dej, it was in all of the papers, on all the news channels when he announced you two were alive.. Even down in Brooklyn I saw your faces everywhere." She smiled and I chuckled.

"It was no easy way to live, so I'm glad to be here today." I spoke gratefully and she nodded.

"I heard the news-- about Louie and you getting married." She chuckled lightly, "Seems like just yesterday you guys slow danced at the Winter Dance." She gushed and I sighed heavily.

"Our senior year was crazy." I sighed because we never slow danced in our freshman year because Louie was beat up, but senior year was a different.

"Oh! Let me see your ring!" She gushed and I chuckled and showed her my new engagement ring- I insisted on giving his family ring back to him, but he told me to keep it because we were family, and then he took me out and bought me an engagement ring.

"Oh, Louis. I'd love to see that kid again." She sighed, we both sat down around the table

"You only liked him after the day he left for the tryouts." I smirked and she scoffed, trying to convince me she liked him throughout high school- which was a lie.

"Well, he was such a troublemaker. Not too mention he hurt you.. I remember you crying so much that night." She sighed and I pursed my lips as I thought about the confusing night.

"He didn't mean to, Dani." I smiled at her.

"Besides: it's not like you've never had a boyfriend before who hurt you." I said and she chuckled.

"Touché." She said smiling.

"So how long are you in town for?" I asked.

"I'm not sure, Matthew can work anywhere with his job-- So as long as we want." She smiled and I nodded.

"Well, I'd love to meet this Matthew." I smiled.

"Oh!" She said getting an idea, "How about we go out for a double date?"

"A double date? I'll ask Louie, he's coming over soon." I chuckled.

--

"No, no, it was definitely sophomore year when that happened." Danielle argued with me and I laughed, "Whatever you say, Dani." I said sitting across from her.

"Oh, hey Matty, will you help me to the ladies room?" She looked up at her husband as she held her belly as we sat in a diner that we used to go to as kids.

He happily obliged as they both slid out of the booth, I sighed as I played with Louie's hand.

"Hey, how have you been sleeping lately?" I asked because I was so used to having him by my side that I was restless most nights, and the nights I could sleep, I had terrible nightmares.

"Horrible." He confessed.

"Really?" I smiled, "Oh, not like that.. That's horrible!" I spoke while trying not to laugh.

"Is it now?" He smirked as he watched me giggle.

"No, I'm serious! It's terrible that you've been horrible, too." I sighed, my smiled fading.

"Too?" He picked up what I was laying down.

"Yes, too. I miss sleeping in your arms- and when I had a bad dream, you'd comfort me, talking me out of a panic attack." I spoke quietly.

"Why don't we elope, then? Because I'm pretty sure one more night away from you might drive me crazy." He said and I looked up at him with a large smile.