19. Winter Dance

D E J A

"Oh, come on, you have your pick of the litter!" Dani spoke excitedly as we walked down the halls.

I gave her a weird look, "This is our senior Winter Dance, not a adopt-a-kitten day. Although-" "We're not ditching the dance to go to the animal shelter." She interrupted me and I laughed as we stopped at our lockers.

I put my books away as she rambled about her latest boy toy.

I looked over to see Louie Zamperini putting his books away across the hall, a group of girls around him.

He was now a record-breaking senior, and everyone claimed he'd go to the Olympics- like I haven't been projecting that for the past five years.

One of the girls hung especially close to him, and her name was Maggie Mae.

I sighed as I closed my locker quietly, still not listening to Dani.

"Maybe I won't go." I interrupted her.

"What? To the dance? Ha! That's a laugh." She laughed as if I was joking.

We started walking down the hall, towards the exit.

I glanced up at Louie as we past him, my heart sunk as Maggie Mae held his arm in her hands, leaning her head on him before I looked away.

"I don't have a date, and it's tomorrow.." I said and she humphed, "Even if someone asked me, there's only one guy that I want to go with." I said before she had the chance to set me up with another jerky guy- like last year.

"Oh, Dej." She said as we walked out of the school doors into the California winter, which was nice weather actually.

"If you only knew you have the world in your hands." She smiled up at me.

--

I walked into the dance, my stomach a bundle of nerves.

I walked to the punch table and took a glass of water and drank it quickly, trying to swallow my nerves.

"Well, well, well." I heard a smartass girl walk to me, "Say anything else and I'll punch you in the boob." I warned Dani and she giggled.

"You look beautiful- by the way." I said looking over at her.

"Thanks, Dej. You do too, and I'm glad you came."

"Yeah, I'm not so sure I am." I sighed.

"Don't be a party pooper." She said before squealing happily, I lightly smiled as her boyfriend hugged her from behind.

She was pulled onto the dance floor soon, leaving me alone to watch my friends being happy.

I noticed a few more students coming in- including Louie and Maggie.

Louie was being pulled along by his beautiful date, I lightly smiled because it was good to see him fitting in.

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and cleared my throat as he looked over at me, I looked away.

I walked away from the table, I didn't want him to know I came alone- or else him and his big heart would come talk to me just so I didn't feel left out.

I gasped as I bumped into someone, I looked up to see a boy looking down at me.

"Deja, right?" One of the new kids spoke, "Yeah, yeah." I slightly nodded as I stepped away from him, so I wasn't pressed up against him.