The Official Two

I slid into the backseat of Bennett's red Mercedes the next morning.

"So get this," I told the guys. "I had the craziest dream last night. Dominic was in my room-"

"You dreamt about Dominic in your room?" Declan said, eyes narrowing.

I rolled my eyes. "Not like that, and ew. But- and this is the crazy part- he said that he was a vampire, like Edward Cullen!"

There was a moment of awkward silence before Jordan snorted. "Edward Cullen is gay."

"Um, he married a woman-"

"Gay."

"Okay, then."

Bennett spoke calmly from the front seat. "Naomi, there are two explanations for this. Either you were high as fudge, or Dominic is actually a vampire and you weren't dreaming at all."

I would've laughed it off, except Declan kicked Bennett's seat. I crossed my arms. "You guys are hiding something."

"What? Noooo," Jordan waved off my accusation. "Us? Never."

"Money, colorblindness, adopted, girlfriends, tattoos," I said, ticking off on both hands all the things they had hidden from me. "Gang-"

"Okay, we get it, we've hidden things from you," Declan interrupted. "But this- like everything else- is for your own good."

I cocked an eyebrow at him. "And this- like everything else- I will get to the bottom of."

"How does she do it?" Jordan muttered. I shrugged. "Nerd power. It's my sixth sense."

Conversation lapsed as we continued to school. Principal Barnes gave us the stinkeye as we passed her, but we ignored her. As I opened my locker, a group of freshmen passed us discussing Hamilton fanfiction in hushed tones. I scoffed, and one of them looked at me imperiously. "What's so funny?"

I snorted, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "Oh, nothing. It's just that, fanfiction and historical fiction are totally different genres, yet anything written about that musical falls into either, neither, or both."

The freshman looked as though she was willing to fight over this. "Um, it's not?" She said defensively, voicing it like a question. "Like, the music is inspiring. And it isn't our fault for having imaginations."

Declan fidgeted.  "The music is kinda good," he mumbled. Jordan's green eyes grew to the size of tennis balls.

"You. Like. Hamilton?"

"The piano-" Declan started to defend himself, but Jordan was instantly on his case. The freshmen posse sniffed and stalked away as Jordan pestered Declan relentlessly. Declan groaned and covered his ears with his hands.

I laughed, slammed my locker shut, and looked up across the hallway. Dominic and Raymond were both watching me, but from different points in the hallway. Occasionally, when the other wasn't looking, one of them would sneak a glance at the other, then fix their eyes back on me.

Bennett nudged Jordan and Declan, who stopped bickering at once. Their eyes went dark. "Jordan, take Naomi to class," Declan growled.

For once, Jordan didn't argue. He wrapped an arm over my shoulders in what was a would-be casual gesture, except for the tightness of his hand on my arm. "Come on," he said through his teeth.

"I'm going to get to the bottom of whatever you three are hiding," I warned him through an equally fake smile.

"For your sake, I hope you never do, Naomi. The other ones, I got used to, but this? I hope you stay in the dark about this one."

As soon as my butt touched my chair, Jordan whisked back out of the room, clearly going back to the others. I crossed my arms and huffed, sinking into the cold plastic.

"Hey, Naomi."

I jumped, whirling to find Dominic sitting behind me, grinning playfully. "Did you miss me?"

"We saw each other yesterday."

"And last night, need I remind you."

"You don't. Need to remind me, that is. I had hoped it was a dream."

Dominic leaned close to me, over the desk, so that his lips brushed my ear. "It's not a dream. Everything I said. Was real."

I jerked abruptly, and he smirked as he drew away. "Get out."

"But this is my class!"

"I don't care."

"You heard her, creep. Leave."

I turned my head to see Raymond glaring at Dominic. I groaned, rubbing my eyes under my glasses. "I don't need you to back me up!"

Raymond ignored me, continuing to murder Dominic with his eyeballs. I swung my bag over my shoulder, stood up, and walked up to the teacher, Mr. Westfield.

"I need to go to the nurse," I told him. Mr. Westfield waved me out absentmindedly.

As soon as I stepped out of the room, I bumped into a chest. Declan caught me as I stumbled. "Come on, we were just coming to get you. We're going on a trip."

"In our favorite rocket ship," Jordan sang, producing wild jazz hands. I sighed. "We are not going on a trip, we have class all day."

"We'll carry you out to the car if you don't come freely," Bennett said matter of factly, jingling his car keys.

I crossed my arms. "Then do it."

Without hesitation, Jordan crouched and swept my feet out from under me. Declan grabbed me by the armpits, and Bennett held the back door of the school open. I did my best to make them put me down- went limp, pretended I was doing the backstroke- but their grips didn't falter. Gracelessly, I was tossed in the back of the car, and Jordan crawled in next to me.

"Zooming through the sky!" He sang again, as Bennett pulled out of the parking lot.

"Little Einsteins," I finished with zero enthusiasm.