I Guess It's Three

We drove a fair way out of town. We'd been in the car for an hour before Bennett pulled over.

I had leaned on Jordan's shoulder, dozing in and out. He had an arm around me, hugging me to his side. I shrugged his arm off, sitting up and looking and looking around. "Are we... at the local state park?"

"Yes," Bennett replied curtly. "And don't asked questions."

I made a face at him. "Whatever, Aunt Petunia."

Bennett payed the ranger at the tollbooth, then pulled into the parking lot. Jordan and I crawled out of the backseat, and without a word, we set into the woods.

I tried my best to start conversation- pointing out unusual types of birds, attempting to eat poison ivy, that sort of thing- but the boys just weren't interested.

"Hey, let's trailblaze some," Jordan suggested, pulling the vines away from my face. I glared at him. "We can't!"

"Yeah, that's a good idea."

"Bennet, what the actual-" I began, but Declan cut me off. "Naomi... this is important. You stay here."

I looked beseechingly at them, but when not one contradicted the others, I scoffed. "You guys should know that this blows with a capital C."

They breathed a collective sigh. "Thanks, Naomi."

Jordan led the others off of the trail, and they had barely been gone ten minutes before I heard a rustle behind me. "Hey, Naomi," Dominic's voice said softly.

"God freaking dammit, Dominic!" I cursed, wheeling on him. "What the fudge is your problem?"

"I just wanted to say hi," Dominic said innocently.

"That is completely unacceptable," another voice said. I looked over my shoulder to see Raymond jogging up to us, sweat staining the armpits of his Underarmour running shirt.

I threw my hands in the air. "Why isn't anyone in school?"

"That doesn't matter," Raymond assured me hastily. He glared at Dominic. "Leave her alone."

Dominic shrugged. "Have it your way."

I guess it was full Twilight, because I barely had time to blink before Dominic had disappeared.

I turned back to Raymond, but he was staring transfixed over my shoulder. There was an uncertain whine behind me. I turned again to see three megawolves- a black one with blue eyes, a brown one with brown eyes, and a golden one with green eyes.

"Of course. Why shouldn't this be how it works? You little f***ers should've told me!"

Jordan cocked his head, and his nose twitched. His eyes looked so affronted.

Raymond sighed. "They want to know why you're cursing!"

My eyes narrowed. "They want to- oh, they want to know why I'm cursing. Gee, boys, why shouldn't I be cursing? You lied to me, you denied the existence of the supernatural, and you lied to me. And you!" I whirled and poked my finger into Raymond's chest. "How come you're so protective all of a sudden? What's that about?"

Raymond looked at the boys again, then sighed. "Your friends saved my life, and they told me to keep an eye on you when they couldn't. We're all on edge because of the vampire threat."

I glared at him- and this was no ordinary glare- this was a bona fide Declan Lynch glare. Raymond gulped. "It's not my fault! I'm part of the pack!"

My eyes grew huge. "You?" I screeched hysterically. I turned back the boys, who each took an uncertain step backward. "You're in a pack with him? What the ****! What the ******* **** went through your ******* minds to give you a ******* ounce of reason to team up with him!"

Tails were between legs as the boys looked at me with hurt eyes. I tapped my foot. "Don't give me puppy eyes. You three are in the doghouse."

There was a crunch behind, and I turned yet again. Raymond wasn't there anymore. In his place was a pale brown wolf, who slunk around behind the boys. I huffed. "I'm going home. Don't come get me."

I turned to storm down the trail, but... I tripped.

Now, I'm not the clumsy type. I've never broken a plate in my life.

I was caught as I fell, and I landed heavily against Dominic's chest. I glared at him. "Jerk."

"Lovely to see you as well, Naomi. Now, boys, Naomi is very special to me, so I'll be taking her back somewhere were she'll be safe from you."

He picked me up bridal style. As he ran, I struggled the best I could. "Why me?" I grunted, punching his chest, which was useless. Dominic grinned. "You're my Nomi. You're my best friend, and I have to take care of you."

"I don't need you!"

"La la la, not listening, too busy keeping you safe from the savages," Dominic singsonged.