So... Seven?

No. Not easy enough.

On a scale of the Hogwarts Sorting to Dauntless initiation, I would say my task was The Hunger Games.

First, as you might have noticed, while I'm an athletic person, I don't go on runs. I will play soccer for five hours straight, but running? Bleh. I had to start doing that, and announcing that I was going for a run, so that the boys got used to it.

Then there was the matter of crossing the boundary. I knew that Jordan, Bennett, and Declan were bound to have defenses somewhere. I also knew that Jordan, Bennett, and Declan played with guns. And by 'played with' I mean 'attacked other humans with deadly firearms'. My goal? Figure out where those guns were and take one for my own protection. My grandfather had taken me hunting a few times before his back started having trouble, and I knew how to fire a gun.

Method? Check. Weapon? Check. There was one thing left. My speech. I'm not going to tell that to you yet, reader, because I've got the best damn speech ever, and you'll just have to wait for it.

I was cautious with Dominic at school. The boys didn't want me to go anywhere near him for obvious reasons, so I managed to wait until Biology, the only class that I had without any of the boys.

"Hey, Naomi," Dominic said as he passed my desk. Quick as a flash, I grabbed his sleeve. "Meet me out back in ten minutes, I don't care how."

I raised my hand and told the teacher that I had forgotten my textbook. Mumbling, she allowed me to depart, and I hustled to the back of the school, my foot tapping impatiently until Dominic appeared. The gray eyes bored into me with impeding trepidation. "What did you want?"

I crossed my arms, glaring at him. "First, I would like it to be clear that I hate you."

"Noted."

"Second. You brought a coven of enemy vampires onto Musketeer and Lost Boy turf, correct?"

"Correct... Naomi, whatever you're planning-"

"Shut up. You're going to help me get into the Lost Boy's inner circle so that I can ask them for help," I told him. He swallowed, running a hand through his hair.

"Nomi, I'm not sure that's a good idea."

"Do you have any better ideas?"

Silence. "That's what I thought," I said icily. Dominic looked like he wanted to argue, but just couldn't think of how. Finally, when I made to brush by him, he grabbed my arm. His hand was ice.

"Nomi. The coven that tailed me had five members. Since then... I've detected more."

My stomach lurched. "How many more?"

"At least four, maybe another five. I would do everything in my power to stop you if I knew that this wasn't your only chance. Ten vampires will drain this entire town. There's nothing that four shifters can do to stop them. In a fight, a fair match would be three wolves to every one vamp. The math just doesn't work. Do you know how many shifters the Lost Boys have?"

I glowered, wrenching my arm out of his grip. "No. The boys, they don't tell me diddly-squat."

Dominic nodded seriously, ignoring my use of the term diddly-squat in a dead serious conversation. "Any more will help. Okay. What's the plan?"

I was honestly amazed that he'd agreed to help me. I'd thought it would take much more persuading on my part, and frankly, I was disappointed that I hadn't gotten to utilize the clove of garlic in my back pocket. I'd gone around reeking like an Italian restaurant all day, and it got me nowhere.

I pulled my phone out of my back pocket and traced the route that I had been running for the past three weeks. "This is where my boys' land ends, and their land begins. I've been running the barrier for almost a month now, and they haven't shown signs of suspicion. My plan is to ditch my phone at the barrier and go in. I've been watching the local news more and more, and I think I have a good idea as to where their main hidey hole is. Most of the crime seems to trace back to Saratoga Lane and West Oakwood Street."

Dominic looked at me blankly. "That's suburbs," he said slowly. I nodded. "It's smart. Who would suspect a cozy family in a Middle Class Neighborhood of being in a gang?"

The warning bell rang inside, and I knew we had to cut the conversation short. "You see here- we're going to meet here tomorrow. At noon. Main and 32nd. Don't be late, or I'm going in without you."

Dominic nodded. For once, since he'd come out as his true self to me, I realized something. Even though he'd changed, he was still Dominic. He was still going to go in with me and protect me, despite the fact that I'd all but spit on him ever since I found out. I gave him a quick hug. "Thanks."

He patted me awkwardly on the back. "You got it. Noon. I won't be late."

I drove to the base after school to grab some things that I'd let cumulate there over the week. I marched inside, quickly typing in the keypad number so that I wasn't tranquilized on entry. Darting to my room, I scooped my gym duffel off of the bed and turned to leave again. On my way out, I couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt. The boys didn't want me to do this, and they'd done so much for me.

No, I told myself. It's your turn to do something for them.

On that thought, I drove back to my house, ushered my parents out to their Friday night dinner, and went to bed.

whaaaaaaat

Okay, evidently, this has 2K reads now??? Thank you???

All right, I love you guys!

-Xandra