Twistedly Twelve

Sunday passed uneventfully, other than not receiving word from the boys. The first sign that everything was wrong come Monday was that the boys didn't pick me up in the morning. I was outside my house at our time, but half an hour later, I resigned myself to running to make it on time. I figured that either they'd forgotten, or they were still mad about yesterday.

When I did arrive at school, I went to first period, but I didn't even make it in the door. At this rate, I was going to fail the semester with how many classes I was missing. I whirled around to see Dominic, gray eyes wide and fearful. "What?"

"Naomi, they took your friends," Dominic blurted, his grip tightening on my arm. I laughed and wrenched my arm away. "Yeah, whatever. You know, if you want to talk to me, I'm not ignoring you."

"No, Naomi- listen to me! I was scouting them like your boys asked me to, and I followed them to this tattoo shop on the south side of this half of the city, and they snatched them. There was a scuffle in the alley and they got knocked out. They put them in the back of their van and drove off, and I couldn't keep up."

The air in my throat turned into cement, and I was choking mentally. All I could hear was blood rushing in my ears, and a sense of those vamps are going to kill them. Some small part of me had retained its sanity, I supposed, and it reminded me in a kind yet firm voice, you can help them.

Regaining control of my bodily functions, I shoved Dominic's arm aside and speedwalked towards the nearest school exit. "Where's your car?" I asked, throwing open the door, not even wincing at the resulting collision of metal and brick.

"Around the front, the silver Volvo," he replied, hurrying to keep up with me. I paused, squinted, and kept walking.

"Keys," I demanded, breaking into a run as soon as it was visible. I caught the flash of metal before pressing the unlock button about twenty times. I jammed the key into the ignition and waited just until I heard Dominic's door click shut before peeling out.

Molly would be at home. She could help. This was my sole thought as the scent of burned rubber surrounded the car.

"Naomi, where are we going?" Dominic asked nervously. I didn't reply, instead taking a hard right. I heard a loud expletive as Dominic was slammed against the window. Five minutes later, on a route that should have taken twenty minutes, we screeched to a halt in front of Molly and Nick's house. I ran up the front steps, two at a time, before throwing open the door. "Molly!"

I heard someone curse, then come around the corner. Molly had her hair in a wrap and was wearing nothing but a bathrobe. "What the hell, Naomi?"

"Molly the vamps they took my boys I need your help we have to save them NOW!"

Molly's pale golden eyes narrowed, and she glanced somewhere over my shoulder. Dominic's voice sounded from my left. "Please. We can't do it on our own."

Molly lifted her chin. "Nick and Dusty are at work. I'm not- someone- what if one of the kids get sick?"

"You're just gonna be a babysitter?" I growled, stalking up to her and jabbing my finger into her midriff. "Fine. We'll deal with it on our own."

Her expression changed from hesitant to downright hateful. "I'm more than that," she said, but it sounded like she was trying to convince herself, too.

"Then come on!"

After a brief pause, she nodded. One sharp, precise motion. She ran to her room, which resulted in a very tense three minutes of me checking my watch and Dominic tapping his foot. She came back in a tight black suit. "Changes with me," she said when she caught me staring. "Let's go save your boys."

We raced to the car and got in. I put my hands on the wheel, then looked at Dominic. "Where are we going?"

Dominic paled. "I- I don't know. They were heading towards the warehouse area down West Madison Street-"

I pressed the accelerator, and we shot down the street. My eyes were darting around, taking in every turn. I didn't know this part of the city. If I could get back to my half, then this would be a cakewalk. Aside from the fact that my best friends could possibly be dead.

I wrenched us to the left at Main Street, and I felt relief, at least a whisper of it. I was oriented now. I drove like a madwoman until I got to the base, and then one block further, West Madison Street. There was no one else on the road, so I floored it, going sixty in a forty.

"There, that's the van!" Dominic exclaimed, pointing. I slammed the brake, and the seat belts cut into our necks. I bolted out of the car and stared at the building, looking at Molly and Dominic. "What do we do now?"