t e n | of embraces

—you were a warrior.

the lunch bell finally rang after the boring lessons before. the girl saw donghyuck dash out of the classroom in quick steps, before anyone else.

as she, herself, dragged her feet to the cafeteria, the thought of who was making him so happy bothered her once again. her smile faded as she reached the cafeteria, and by the time she looked up, her smile was completely gone.

she saw a few boys, him, with a face filled with thrown food.

but he wasn't struggling. he wasn't struggling at all. he just...embraced everything, like it was nothing.

at that point, she almost admired him.

shaking her head to clear up her thoughts, she stepped forward without another moment's hesitation. but one of the boy's next words caught her foot frozen.

" whatcha gon' do, birthday boy? "

following his words, he dumped the remains in a carton of milk from a nearby table over donghyuck's head, expressionless, like he did it every day.

and maybe he did,
just that she never noticed.

the girl felt a gush of wind brush past her as the boy dashed out, slightly bumping into her shoulder and hiding into the bathroom.

she walked, slowly, towards the bathroom, a step away from entering. she leaned against the wall, and called out for him.

" donghyuck? "

faint sniffs could be heard inside, followed by the sound of the tap running. sharp breaths could be heard, with more water, splashes, pulling of toilet paper off its holder, and finally, the door swung open.

they met eyes,
and the girl felt her breath hitch.

" why didnt u tell me it was your birthday? " she breathed out, feeling his gaze sterner than usual. colder, than usual.

" because you don't care, "
he replied bluntly.

her eyebrows furrowed, and held him back by the arm before he could walk away.

" i do care. "

" no, you don't, " he argued in a tone she had never heard him use. " you never did. stop convincing yourself you do. "

" i do! it's you that needs to stop convincing yourself that i don't. "

she noticed the softening of his gaze as her words tumbled out, straight out from her heart and into his ears. then, clearing all her thoughts, she pushed herself off the wall and into his arms.

" i'm... i'm here for you, okay? "

she patted him on the back for reassurance, but before he could wrap his arms around her in return, she pulled away with a smile.

" happy birthday, donghyuck. "