f i f t e e n | of promises

—we could be immortals.

the two were beginning to walk home when a thought came to the girl's mind:

" you know what would make tonight even better? "

the boy looked over at her. " what? "

" a meteor shower, or a shooting star. right here, right now. "

" what... what would you wish for? "

she hummed in thought; she didn't really know. she had never thought about wishing, but there was lots she wanted. expensive things, fancy things, and things simply invaluable.

" i guess, i'd wish for the world to know that we'll be okay alone, because we know each other's worth like no one else. "

the girl felt a smile as she realized that, yes, that was what she wanted the most.

" what about you? what would you wish for? "

" i'd wish for eternal happiness, to live days without food on my face and milk in my hair.
i would wish for the world to understand us, but i can't... "

he trailed off, a forced laugh afterwards. he couldn't believe a simple question would lead to all of that. he took a deep breath in.

" i can't change the world, so why not, let the world change me? "

the girl was silent, thinking of the next words to say. their steps grew increasingly slower, both minds filled with empty thoughts.

" what about the whole, you wanting to name a star after me? " she brought up. " if you had enough, would you actually...? "

" if i had enough,
i would give you the world. "

she sighed, thoughts finally coming in place. " you know, i wish we could see how the world sees us. are we really that bad? "

" i don't think we are— you, at least. i don't think you are. "

" but wouldn't it be better if we knew for ourselves, without having to 'think' anything? "

" i guess it would, but it's impossible. "

" nothing is impossible, donghyuck. "

" realistically speaking, it is. along with all your little wishes saved for shooting stars... but you know what is possible? "

almost at the speed of light, he leaned in and pecked her forehead. her eyes widened in surprise.

" w-what was that for? "

" so you know that i'm here for you. let's say that was everything i could give you, yeejin... "

a dumb smile was on his face, seeing her with furrowed eyebrows and shaky pupils, before he finished his sentence:

" the world can never destroy you if it's already yours. "

as her shock subsided, her smile returned to her face. she looked up at him, and their eyes locked in a comforting hold.

" the world is ours, donghyuck.
we rule our own world.
no one is below us. "

he hooked his fingers around her wrist, fiddling with it before letting it slide down to her hand. it clasped in his perfectly, and it felt as though the world came back together piece by piece.

" promise? "

this time, the girl stepped up. she got on her tiptoes, and pressed her lips against his cheek, before nodding reassuringly.

" promise. "

— end —

i honestly didn't want to post this today bc i dont want this to end. (and bc i wasnt satisfied with this at all) but i hope this brings you at least a smile?

thank you for reading Sonder, please give Chasing Midnight a try too. and thank you for bringing this to 3k, love you all