f o u r t e e n | of winter skies

—you were one with the sky.

laughter was still in the air by the time the sun set, its golden streaks of warmth tinting the skin of the two. it was the part of the day when they were happiest, when it wasn't too hot like the rest of it.

" it's pretty, " the girl remarked, stretching out her hand to capture the sun's rays. she had always wanted to keep a drop of sunlight, a piece of the brightest thing just for herself.

donghyuck stole a glance at her as he leaned back, a smile creeping on his face at the smile on hers.

to him, it was brighter than
all the rays of the sun.

the two didn't talk, they didn't talk at all. they simply watched as the sun set, casting its light onto the world for its last moments, before it died to the darkness.

and that was when the stars appeared.

it was as though it was all planned out, to shine the stars brighter that night. the sky was pitch black, as the two stared up at what seemed like a winter sky on a summer night.

" i didn't think the stars would be this bright tonight. "

" neither did i, " the boy admitted in a whisper, breath taken away. " those three stars there— "

" orion! " the girl confidently cut in. it was probably the only constellation she was familiar with, because of its unique pattern and the number of times she saw it out the window.

he let out a laugh, pointing to the most visible star. " what about the brightest star, over there? "

" i don't know, the north star? "

another laugh.

" try again.
you know it. "

" i do? " she questioned, doubt obvious in her voice. she shut her eyes tight, trying to recall everything, anything, about the stars.

she was never one to remember things well, anyway. and just when she was about to give up, her mind flashed to that one math class, and she snapped her fingers with a wide grin on her face.

" sirius? "

the boy stared at her, too at a loss for words to think of a reply. it was ridiculous how such a simple thing could make his breath hitch in wonder.

she remembered.

" i wish i could name a star after you. "

" which one? " she asked out of pure curiosity.

donghyuck pointed to the orion constellation, squinting on eye for his finger to focus on one particular one. the brightest of the three; rigel.

" why? "

" because it's the brightest amongst the stars around it. even though it isn't the brightest in the entire sky, it still has its own twinkle.
you are like that star. "

her eyebrows furrowed. " how? "

he paused, lowering his hand and using it to pat her on the head.

" because in a crowd, to me,
you still shine the brightest. "