Chapter 3

I stopped my bike and pushed it towards the shed noticing it was about to rain. I quickly grabbed the grocery's and ran inside when I felt a raindrop hit my nose.

I set the groceries down on the counter.
"Hello Lil". My mother roughly said.
She seemed to be having a bad day. Maybe it was my father. He sleeps a lot because he's always tired, but mostly because he's sick all the time. About last year he was diagnosed with cancer.
"Hello mum, is everything alright?" I asked worriedly.
"It's your father, he's not feeling too well". She sadly said, which I knew she was going to say.
"....do you need any help?" I asked.

"No no dear I'm fine." She said.
Which I new she was lying but I left anyway. I slowly walked up our squeaky stairs into my bedroom,and shut the door laying my records down on my desk.
I plopped down on my bed starting to think about my father. I could hear him in the next room breathing, heavily.
I'm almost 18 and I promised myself not to move out until my mother can handle things herself, because my sister moved out last year after my father got sick. Which piled everything on my busy mother. I knew he was dying, which really depressed me, so I started crying.
Then my thoughts were interrupted by my phone ringing. It must be John.
I quickly picked up. Too quickly.

"Ello?" I answered trying to sound like I wasn't crying.

"Is this Lil?" (John) said.

"Yes John it's me, what's up?" I sighed.

"Are you okay love?" John asked. Noticing.

"Yes John I'm fine, is the gig still on tonight?" I asked changing the subject.

"No actually I accidentally lied, it's tomorrow. Do you want to write with me instead?" He asked.

"Yes of course I do!" I shrieked.

"Great, I'll come pick you up." He said.

I gave him my address and hung up.
I grabbed my guitar, notebook,pen, and fled down the stairs.

"Mum I'm going out with a friend, are you SURE you don't need any help?" I asked.

"Yes I'm sure, your Aunt is coming in to stay with us to help out. That leaves more time for you to go out. Go,go go, have fun, and be back by 8:00!" She said waving.
-
-
I sat on my porch until John arrived, looking up and down the street of our ugly, gray, neighborhood.

Then he finally ran up, "Where are we going?" I asked eagerly. Admiring his face.
"We're going to my favorite place. You'll see." John said and winked.