10. Russell

"What the hell Aubrey" I hear Russell stomping towards me. The girl on top of me, Aubrey, is crushing my ribs.

"She tried to run!" Aubrey grumbles out, "so I caught her," she sounds a little too proud of herself.

Russell walks around and his eyes stare into mine for a moment. After quickly pulling his gaze away, he looks back at Audrey with a cold expression.

"Okay, get off her." He says sternly. Is he going to let me go? I feel the girl's weight lift off me, allowing me to breathe again.

I sit up and brush dirt and leaves off my now ruined shirt.

"I was just trying to do this job quickly." She grunts at Russell.

He lets out a deep sigh as he bends down to my eye level. He ignores Aubrey as she continues to blabber in his ear. My heart panics as I see pity flash through his eyes.

What job is Aubrey talking about?

"Are you alright?" He asks gently, his hand touching my elbow.

If I punch him in the jaw right now, I can probably get a head start running. He is a good foot taller than me, but I am willing to bet that I am faster. The only problem is Aubrey. She is already alert and ready for me to run.

"Russell. Let's go!" Aubrey says impatiently, pulling me away from my thoughts. I hear her groan as she turns around and starts rustling through the forest floor looking for something.

"Do you know where you're going?" Russell asks, rubbing the back of his neck, slight worry lacing his voice.

"Russell, don't you dare back out now." I hear Audrey's threatening words.

"Who are you?" I say as I pull myself back to my feet. My ankles are sore and swollen, but I take a few steps away from Russell.

"I didn't know you were a girl." He puts both of his hands in the air. "I was just told to capture the hybrid."

A chill runs down my spine. I glance behind me to see a clear path out of here. Now is my chance.

I nod my head towards Aubrey, a distraction, "What is she looking for over there?"

Just as Russell turns his head to look back at Aubrey I swivel my body around and make a mad dash away from the pair.

My feet slam into the ground as I pray for traction. My heart pounds in my chest as I run for my life through the woods. The brush has thinned and I carefully watch the ground for fallen limbs.

I throw my head behind me to see Aubrey closely following my trail. She is gaining on me quickly. I look back towards where I am going and beg my legs to go faster.

Aubrey's manicured hand reaches out and wraps around my hair, yanking me to the ground. I grunt on impact and open my eyes just in time to see her slide Tyler's sharp blade through my stomach.

I wail as the wound immediately begins to pour warm, red blood into the soil. Russell catches up in seconds and his eyes go big.

"What the hell Aubrey." He breathes out, his jaw dropped to the floor.

"Mission accomplished. You have the girl." She grits out, crossing her arms.

"That was not the deal. We were to bring the hybrid to him unharmed." Russell's tone rises as he takes a step towards her.

Did Liam send them to kidnap me?

"He is going to kill us now."

"Bullshit. I want my payment." She screeches.