The Maze [part 5]

[6]

A creature lay dead on the sandy ground. It was a lion. But it wasn't. It had huge fangs sticking out the side of its mouth and massive claws on its paws. Its eyes were black and bloody. It was much larger then a normal lion and fatter.

"Sabre-tooth tiger" Said Arran breaking the silence "Nasty little buggers"

"How do you know? Have you ever met one before now?"

"Nope but I watched this documentary about them, walking with beasts" He pulled a face and spat on the tigers body.

"They should be back ...." Before Arran could finish another loud screech raced into our ears. "Run" He screamed.

"The others ..."

"Run!!" I did as he said and ran, ran as fast as my legs would let me. I accidently let out a scream and quickly covered my mouth to block it. My legs were hurting now as we ran back and forwards across the maze. Maybe we could stop now? But Arran was still running hard and it didn't look like he was slowing down.

"Arran, Arran" I shouted, Arran ignored me and we still raced onwards. I felt weak, weaker then I should be feeling. I liked running, was always good at it, so why was I feeling like this. I used to come in good high positions when we did cross country, and in school running races. I felt myself getting slower and slower, each second that went by I was letting Arran slip more and more in front of me. I suddenly stopped and screamed Arran's name. He kept on running though like I wasn't even there. He had disappeared and I was on my own. I stayed put for at least 10 minutes before deciding to walk back the way we came. I was scared; it wasn't safe being on your own with no weapons. I sat down on the dusty floor and leaned my head back onto the bushes. I was almost ready to die now, and that's what scared me.

The scorching hot sun beamed down on me as I sat by myself on the ground half asleep. Soon I was going to be dehydrated, that thought hit me and hit me until I couldn't take it anymore. I won't wait to die, I won't wait for another team to kill me and I won't wait to dehydrate. I was getting up and getting out of here. I stood still for a while before walking off. Every step was agony as my blisters were getting sorer and bigger but I was determined to find the rest of my group. Sweat trickled down my face as I forced myself to keep walking through the heat. Where could Arran be? Why did he leave me on my own? Where are the rest of my group? I thought about my mum, my dad and my brothers. I wanted to go home and be with them again. I probably won't see them again; it didn't look like Arran was coming back for me. I could see my family before me smiling and opening their arms to me. I ran and opened my arms. There was nothing there. I looked up to the sun and fell to the floor. I couldn't go on, it was too hard. I passed out.

"Get up" Shouted a kid besides me. When I woke it was dark. How long had I passed out for? I looked up and saw a small kid tugging at my arms.

"Get up" He repeated. This was it; I was going to die now. I slowly got to my feet and starred him in the face. "What, midget?" I said. There was nothing I could say to make this situation worse. There was nobody else with him so I felt a little safer. In fact, I didn't feel safer. I was going to die, how could I feel safe?

"You got a name to go with that pretty face of yours" He said grabbing the back of my hair. He ripped some out and I gave out a quiet yelp. He let go and I held my head.

"Well?"

"Just kill me" I said, I couldn't be bothered with his games.

"What is your name? Bitch"

"Grace" I said as I sat with my legs crossed on the floor "Grace Feraras" I closed my eyes and waited.

"Grace Feraras?"